should i get a gerbil a hamster or a guinea pig?

im not sure i think i'll get a hamster though

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

personally, i think you should get a guinea pig. they do not smell as bad as hamsters they just poop more(:.lol. if your looking to cuddle or snuggle with your pet or just hold it a guiknea pig would be the better option just because they are very calm. and hamsters are very active.

but good luck(:

• Philip
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The guinea pig is the laziest and requires more maintenance (bedding replacement) and food being the most expensive. The gerbil is just as active and easy to raise as some breeds of hamsters. Other breeds of hamster maybe higher maintenance. I would get two gerbil one male & one female with a empty 30 gallon or larger fish aquarium w/ wheel, tubes and toys. Separate the male from the female after she gets pregnent & before birth. When the babies have their eyes open and are getting furry, about four weeks, you can start to handle them very gently. Start by putting your hand in the cage for them to climb on and explore. Baby gerbils are often quite brave and adventurous and many will climb right up on your hand. It's a very good idea to handle them every day from this point on so that they get used to people, which helps them become good pets for someone else when they are old enough to go to their new homes at about eight weeks old.

Keep exactly two gerbils for the aquarium, two babies or the parents. Maybe trade babies for supplies if new homes are hard to find.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

guinea pig b/c they are more friendly and train easier. It is hard to handle a gerbil and hamster. Guinea pigs can also wear a harness and leash and you can sit in the grass in your yard with them. They also live longer (4-8 yrs). hamsters and gerbils live 1-2 yrs

Source(s): owner of guinea pigs, rabbits and gerbils
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Well I found that hamsters nip you a lot, so I wouldn't recommend them. They also make loads of noise going round and round their toy things all night long!

We had gerbils too and again, I wouldn't recommend them. They were like Houdini and could escape out of anywhere, then they were a devil to find! They didn't live long and they weren't that friendly.

Now guinea pigs are cute. We had one that was just so friendly and had a lovely nature - go for that!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

You should get a big fat hamster from the pet shop! hamster is a good choice! But if want something big get a Guinea pig. guinea pigs are more smelly.

Source(s): I have had gerbils, hamsters, and guinea pigs.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

guinea pig anyday

hansters seem to bite more and they are nocternil (N) which is boring :L

guinea pig are cute and cudley and make cute little sqeeking noises :D

cyah xx

• 1 decade ago

I vote hamster!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.