Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceWords & Wordplay · 1 decade ago

Need Basic English Help Please?

What does it mean when the author describes his voice as a voice that kills?

"Why don't you go inside with the women?" my dad says in a voice that kills".

Thanks a lot.

Favorite Answer

Saying 'In a voice that kills' the author is showing that the Dad was deadly serious. In other words, what could be more earnest than something that kills? It obviously doesn't mean that some-one's voice could kill another person.

The author was describing the reaction, not the way the father spoke. Apparently, the narrator wishes to be outside with the father, but the father, for whatever reason (the narrator is a girl, or a boy that is too young to be with the men), does not want the narrator with him. The voice that kills is referring to the narrator's hope/joy being killed by the authority speaking words he/she does not wish to hear.

Hope this helps,

Your Friendly Neighborhood English Teacher

• Honey

It sounds overly dramatic to me. Presumably the author is trying to say that the father's tone of voice "killed" or discouraged any argument. I would consider the sentence as second-rate because of its vagueness. The author could have written:

" . . . my dad thundered, his face black with anger."

or

". . . my dad intoned in a voice so devoid of emotion that I knew any any argument was fruitless."

or

". . . my dad suggested in a tone that brooked no debate."

It means he's saying it in a very nasty or demeaning way. It's just like if someone glares at you and looks at you angrily, you say "If looks could kill". Same thing.

It means like they are very very angry.