Joy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

questions on Pit Bulls. Do females have a better temperment?

I was looking in my local shelter and a lot of them have Pit bull/ mixes. i spotted a female mix, and i wanted to know if i should take the chance in adopting her. she's a sweet heart, 1.5 yrs old, but i dont know her previous owner, or her habits. I also have a HUGE fear of being bitten, which makes me hesitant in even THINKING of getting a pit. IDK WHAT i should do? its come down to savinvg her life, and getting over my fear. but how do you stop a pit from biting? do they REALLY have mental disorders? should i purchase a mix? PLEASE HELP!!!!!! email me with suggestions/ advice for a dog. a loyal dog that is good with kids age 2-7 years.

Favorite Answer

Okay speaking from experience!!

We adopted our 3 y/o APBT from a high kill shelter last year. We knew nothing what so ever about her history just that they found her wandering the streets. She was the favorite of the staff they adored her.

I have a 22 month old son, they are great together. But to be honest if you are that afraid of them then you don't need one. Why get a breed that you are going to be afraid of?? A pit bull requires a firm hand as well as an experienced owner. A females temperment is not always better. Its an individuality thing. No Pit bulls do not have mental disorders!! They were bred to be NON human aggressive. If they showed any aggression they were shot on the spot. But today people are taking this wonderful breed and turning them into things they are not, the american bully being an example. If raised and trained properly the APBT can be one of the most loyal and loving dogs that you could have with a child!

patty cakes- Everything you stated about the APBT is not even true! Those are all lies. I am curious where you got all your info from? Let me guess PETA or are you one of those media leaches? Go read up on the breed before you state LIES!

Any dog can bite yes even the "perfect" labs and goldens.

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/Articles/OtherBre...

Source(s): Proud owner of 2 APBT's who share a household with my 22 month old son!

yes and no. it depends on the way they were bred. But sometimes they are known to be more agressive and more protective then male. They dont have mental disorders. they are very loyal and protective dogs. And woever tells you they ae vicious they are wrong. IT IS ALL IN THE WAY THEY ARE RAISED!. Some people just make the whole breed look bad. You shouldnt be afraid. Dogs can sense your fear and she will become dominant over you if she can tell you are unstable. So be brave, calm, and assertive and you should be absolutley fine. And another thing any dog can bite as long as they have teeth so if your afraid of getting a pit you should be afraid of dogs period. Because all dogs bite!

And another thing pitbulls are great with kid i have neices and nephews that range in age from 6 months to 7 years old and my AMERICAN PITBULL TERRIER WHO IS 14 MONTHS HAS NEVER BIT OR MADE ANY AGGRESIVE GESTURES TOWARDS THEM. He lets them rid on his back like a pony. If thats not innocent or cute i dont know what is.

Source(s): I AM A VERY PROUD APBT OWNER!!!

Pit bulls are perfectly good dogs. Propaganda in the news and the media have distorted the view of these wonderful dogs. They are actual a very well tempered breed. They do amazing with children. I can see where you could be hesitant because you don't know her past experiences. I suggest taking your whole family to the shelter and interact with her. Let her get used to you guys and then decide if she seems nice enough to take home. As long as you give her lots of love and attention, she will be one of the best dogs that you'll ever have!

Hope i helped!!! =]

Source(s): personal experience pet store employee dog behaviorist

With your kids, you really shouldn't. It is all in how the pitbull was raised. If treated well from the start of life, a pitbull can be a great family dog. However they are known for agression, and like you said, you have no idea how her previous owner(s) treated her. She might be a fine dog for your family, but if she was abused in any way there is a high chance she will become defensive. When your child is feeding her, for instance, and is too close to her food dish, she will bite. (Happened to me when I was 9) It is common they have food agression, and are protective of their owners. Because of this, you or your family may not be bitten, but a stranger will be. Pitbulls have all sorts of issues with children, other dogs, cats, meeting strangers, even people with deep voices can frighten them and cause them to spaz out, often injuring people. Pittbulls are just not exactly family dogs (in most cases) and adopting this girl will definitely be taking a risk. Is there a way you can get in closer contact with the dog? Bring your kids in and introduce her to them? Maybe walk her? Make sure you ask the shelter for any information you can get on her. It is up to you.

Because of the history of agression in pittbulls, at my local shelter it is illegal to adopt a pittbull if you have children under 12 in the house. They generally just aren't good with kids. But remember that every dog is different and you should still give her a chance. Just make sure you get to know her better, and your kids do too before making your final decision.

Good luck (:

Source(s): My mom had a pitbull mix when we were growing up...

my mom used to own a pit she was very calm. No dog has a disorder, I have an amercan bull dog and she has fear agression but I learned that if I'm scared of a dog that dig can sence it and they become what u feel. U need to love the dog and take care of it the most important thing is don't LOVE that is what it will need most. If ur scared it will take atvantage. If somthing does happen give it to a friend but not a shelter no dog shound die for being mistreated. :)

Source(s): My mom

In my personal opinion, once you mentioned you had 2 young kids, I wouldn't even consider the dog you are describing. Especially because you don't know it's history and don't have alot of confidence around these type of dogs. I understand she may be a sweetheart, but given the wrong circumstances, she could change in an instant. I don't think you should risk your kids with this. Could I suggest perhaps looking at the shelter for something like a labrador cross or something along those lines.

Most street pits are mutts, so no one can predict how she will react.

Considering that you have small kids, and you don't know what kind of history that dog has, I'd advise against it.

My first concern in these recommendations is always the safety of the children. That's why my recommendation is that you consider one of these three breeds:

Newfoundland

Labrador Retriever

Golden Retriever

These dogs are big, tough and generally calm, once they mature. The important factor is that they are too big and too tough for a rowdy kid to, in all innocence, accidentally hurt the dog. And if the child cannot hurt the dog, the dog won't be driven to the point of retaliation with her teeth.

All three of these dogs are retrievers; they have no history of fighting or combat in their ancestry. They are mild-mannered and patient, smart as most people and very trainable.

For a family with children under five, I recommend you locate a local or relatively local kennel or rescue and adopt an adult. You want one that is at least three and better five years old, visibly calm when you meet her, with experience with children and no history of aggression.

Don't get a pit bull....

If you are afraid of being bitten then a Pit is NOT for you. Purchase a mixed breed, these are usually intelligent and great dogs, ESPECIALLY Shepherds oh my gosh they are beautiful and wonderful dogs. Pit bulls are not good with kids and neither are Rottweilers or Dobermanns. Only a select few of those dogs are kind.

do you have experience with dogs? pit bulls are for experienced owners only if your worried then dont get her you being nervous will only make her nervous it would be great for you to save her life though

however you can still get a dog and save a life go to petfinder.com check out the dogs and see their history

A pit bull is not a wise choice for you.