Questions on Pit Bulls. Do females have a better temperment?

I was looking in my local shelter and a lot of them have Pit bull/ mixes. i spotted a female mix, and i wanted to know if i should take the chance in adopting her. she's a sweet heart, 1.5 yrs old, but i dont know her previous owner, or her habits. I also have a HUGE fear of being bitten, which makes me... show more I was looking in my local shelter and a lot of them have Pit bull/ mixes. i spotted a female mix, and i wanted to know if i should take the chance in adopting her. she's a sweet heart, 1.5 yrs old, but i dont know her previous owner, or her habits. I also have a HUGE fear of being bitten, which makes me hesitant in even THINKING of getting a pit. IDK WHAT i should do? its come down to savinvg her life, and getting over my fear. but how do you stop a pit from biting? do they REALLY have mental disorders? should i purchase a mix? PLEASE HELP!!!!!! email me with suggestions/ advice for a dog. a loyal dog that is good with kids age 2-7 years.