Science-fiction book recommendations!!?

I'm itching for a really good, crazy, intense, awesome science-fiction book to read. What are some of the best sci-fi books written that one might recommend to read. By the way, these don't have to be newly published books.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Best Answer

For some reason no one ever suggests Isaac Asimov. I will.

Isaac Asimov is one of the revolutionaries of science fiction. His popular series are:

I, Robot

The Foundation Series

And

The Empire Series

They are all set in the same universe but thousands of years apart.

The grandfathers of science fiction are Jules Verne and H.G. Wells.

I highly recommend both of them.

Someone already mentioned Ray Bradbury, he is great.

George Orwell's Animal Farm isn't necessarily sci-fi but it isn't necessarily not sci-fi. It is very dystopian.

Timothy Zahn is also very good.

But you must read Asimov! Actually, do it right now. Google "Asimov The Last Question" and read his short story The Last Question. It is amazing. I hope I helped.

Also, there is a great series by an author whose name escapes me but it starts with Earthseed. Amazing.

Oh! I forgot Philip Dick.

• Susan
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Some writers I've enjoyed: Sheri S Tepper Neil Gaiman Neal Stephenson William Gibson Bruce Sterling Connie Willis Orson Scott Card Charles DeLint Terry Pratchett Douglas Adams Christopher Moore Naomi Novik

• 1 decade ago

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. One of the best sci-fi books I've ever read. Plus it's being made into a movie in 2011.

• 1 decade ago

Orson Scott Card (Ender's Game)

Anne McCaffrey (Nimisha's Ship, the brainship series, the freedom series, the dragonriders series, crystal singer series)

Dean Koontz (Prodigal Son series)

Orson Scott Card is genius in Ender's Game. I haven't read any of the sequels, but I hear they're just as good or better. Anne McCaffrey's Brainship series is really good, and I recommend the Brain Ships omnibus. It combines Partnership and The Ship Who Searched. Her Crystal Singer series (the first book is Crystal Singer) is also a good series. However, the subsequent books aren't the same level as the first. Dean Koontz's Prodigal Son series is an awesome twist on the Frankenstein story. He really takes it into the hard core sci-fi with this series. But, if you don't care for Koontz, this has the same short dialogue that can leave something to be desired. The storyline itself, however, pulls you in and dumps you with awesome cliff-hanger endings. Good thing is the entire series is available.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adam is a good classic. It's the story of the last living man from named Arthur Dent. Funny and very original.

• 1 decade ago

1984 by Orwell

Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

I am Legend by Richard Matheson

I, Robot by Isaac Asimov is good, I hear

and most of all--EVERYTHING by Philip K. Dick. If you want quality sci fi, he is one of the best. I recommend Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (the inspiration for Bladerunner) the most.

• Mila
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

anything by Ray Bradbury, especially....

♦The Martian Chronicles (I'm currently reading this one and it's so amazing, words cannot describe.)

♦Fahrenheit 451

♦Something Wicked This Way Comes

♦Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

i haven't read this one but I've heard marvelous things about it.

♦The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

read the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield. Order:

*Uglies

*Pretties

*Specials

*Extras

Very Sci-Fi. Hope this helps! --courtney

• 1 decade ago

Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

That's all that comes to mind when I hear "sci-fi"

Hope I helped :]

• 1 decade ago

the hunger games by suzanne collins

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.