promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What does "I stay woke" mean ?

What does Erykah Badu means to say when she sings: "I stay woke" (Song title is "Master Teacher" )

BabaO

7 Answers

Relevance
  • suehil
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

My guess would be that she meant 'I stay awake', but it is not good English.

• Numone6 years agoReport

Understandable technical answer. What she's saying is not literal, though.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 6 years ago

Generally, I agree with imani. "Stay woke" is a common phrase with an intentional twist on proper dialect referring to a constant awareness (most often) of covert injustice, unfair treatment, societal racism, discrimination, and the like. Erykah Badu is saying that she knows about these things, and can identify how they affect her and impact our society.

Just as people say, "Don't sleep on this," referring to how "this" could be missed, "staying woke" is about being aware of the negative cultural norms norms of our daily lives that many people overlook or explain away as insignificant.

Note: "Sleeping" on something is used much more broadly - can refer to anything from a new artist to a helpful product, and anything that isn't hyped up by the masses yet, but considered highly valuable.

• Howard E2 months agoReport

i GUESS YOU MEAN LIKE DUDE, "HITLER WAS DEFINITELY WOKE!"

• magno
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Define Woke

• 6 years ago

Her English is fine and it has nothing to do with that. It's slang and it means to stay aware and vigilant of the things happening around you.

• Remy6 years agoReport

You're correct.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

The last person to specifically use the phrase "stay out of trouble" in regards to me worked for the NSA. I am not at liberty to discuss why he said it or the circumstances leading up to that exchange.

• laine
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

What Does I

• 1 decade ago

It means she can't speak proper English.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.