Is anyone else pissed that the government is giving the $4,500 clunker incentive to foreign automakers?

So let me get this straight, the government is giving away our tax dollars to foreign auto makers. I live here in Detroit and used to work as a Tool Designer for tier 3 suppliers, now I sell tools at Sears. What most people don't understand is that a huge majority of people in automotive related industries don't work for unions or directly for the Big 3. People have this screw the American auto makers greedy unions did it to themselves. They go out and buy these foreign cars where most the proceeds go back to Japan and I hear now that the government is offering incentives for this.

Is it just me or what?

This country had better wake up!

If soooo many parts are made here in the US then why is Detroit's industrial complexes goht towns right now? They only make there bare minimum required by the government in order to avoid tax tarrifs. Give me a break people it's a scam.

Well Duh, I couldn't agree more! The little guys like me all saw it comming but big corperate greed didn't care and now the industry is a big S H I T pie and we are all taking a bite. But look what we did for wall street and reform will come to prevent it in the future. If the government took this attitude toward the domistic market we can save Detroit and prevent it from happening in the future but political greed is killing this country. So when the US losses it's entire industrial base across the board and we become a 3rd world nation you can tell yourself well we had the opportunity to do something about it in 2009 but we didn't so we deserve it.

Favorite Answer

I didn't know that this incentive was also going to the foreign automakers! I do realize that several foreign owned and designed autos are assembled here in the states, but i also know that the profits made from the sale of these vehicles goes to foreign countries, which in my opinion is wrong. This country needs to be concerned with it's own business and forget about the "world market". but then, with the socialistic government we now have forced down our throats, one can expect no less than what is happening now!

Cash from Kevin as the news reporter on the ABC called it, will be spent on: * two new tyres for our brumbrum and * electrical work to fix the light and exhaust fan in the second bathroom. There has been a fault in the wiring for the past year and we haven't been able to afford to have it fixed. The kids have been showering during the day or by candle light. I can't wait, we have been planning/getting quotes for the work ever since the economy stimulus package was first announced on the news.

Nope, most foreign automakers are building cars in this country as we speak. The big three has had since the 70's to pull their heads out of their butts and so they deserve their position in today's market.

I grew up in Detroit.

Here is what should upset you. They have made this program to piss all this money away on a useless program, well not completely useless. It has sparked auto sales and that can be a good thing. The problem is they didn't put any thought into how they were going to finance this program and it ran out of money on its 5th day. Now they have approved 2 billion more of our money that we don't have to fund it. For them to be the intelectual ones, they sure are stupid. Or should I say, "They acted stupidly."

This administration puts little thought into anything. They just seem fixated on some kind of self imposed deadline without considering the consequences of their "solutions". Several other countries are using the same program to sell cars. We just copied so it like we are copying so many other things around the world. It could be that the US automakers are benefiting in other countries.

it is just to stimulate the economy. priming the pump to get something flowing. makes no sense, otherwise. hell, it is proceeds from a taxpayer loan. they are desperately trying to get some money circulating. it is not like we are really manufacturing anything. just assembling parts from overseas. just a nation of burger flippers, warehouse box stackers and assembly line workers.

Even foreign automakers employ several thousand Americans.

No. Lots of "foreign" cars are made HERE...