What if a HUD home is damaged before closing?

I am in contract to buy a hud home. I placed a bid on April 20th 2009 and I was set to close 7/31/09. Unfortunately, the home was broken into sometime between thursday 7/23 and wednesday 7/29. The vandals stole all of the copper pipes. I got an estimate of about $7000 to replace them. The problem gets worse. My... show more I am in contract to buy a hud home. I placed a bid on April 20th 2009 and I was set to close 7/31/09. Unfortunately, the home was broken into sometime between thursday 7/23 and wednesday 7/29. The vandals stole all of the copper pipes. I got an estimate of about $7000 to replace them. The problem gets worse. My lawyer informed hud of the situation on 7/23 and I supplied them with a written estimate for the repair and the police report info. They told me that if I wanted to close on 7/31 they could not adjust the sale price ($145000). They said it would take 1-2 weeks to see if they could do anything. Problem number 2, my loan commitment and rate lock (5%) with Wells Fargo expire next week. What do I do? I found a post online from someone with a similar problem. They had 20K worth of damage and it took 2 months for hud to tell that person they would only lower the price $3500. The person backed out of the contract. Hud then re-listed the home for 40K less than that person was willing to pay. Is hud in the business of screwing people over? Am I wasting my time? If hud does something similar to me can I sue them? I have invested roughly 4K into title searches, lawyer fees, and other docs, not to mention the time and aggravation I have gone through. This has honestly been the 2nd worst experience of my life (the worst was the loss of a loved one). Please Please Please HELP. I can not afford to lose the money I have already invested and I definitely can't afford another $7000 for the plumbing repairs.
4 answers 4