the confederate flag?

i fly a confederate flag, and i get made fun of a lot!!! i have 15% black in me and the rest is white.... is it wrong for me to fly the flag?

• Witchy
    Favorite Answer

The flag can have many different meanings.

Personally, I see it as a symbol for State's Rights as in the 10th amendment. I strongly agree with State's Rights but I don't fly the Stars and Bars. I simply have never lived in the South so I don't have the same attachment that someone who has lived there would have. Still, I'm not offended by those who wish to fly it.

I know that others also see it as a symbol for the South in general, a symbol of their ancestors who died in the Civil War, and yes, some people see it as a symbol of racial prejudice.

So it really depends on what meaning(s) YOU associate with the flag.

The Confederate flag indicated racism in the past, but nowadays, it's a symbol of Southern pride. Well, technically, the flag was a symbol used for the Confederate States of America, a new 'country' comprised of the southern states, formed because the South wanted slavery to remain intact. However, after losing the Civil War, many of the soldiers in the Confederate States Civil War formed the KKK, and I'm sure know what that is. The KKK was a racist group and they used the Confederate flag as one of their symbols. Yet, as time passed and the KKK grew less numerous or underground, the Confederate flag still remained a racist symbol, but as time passed again, it became simply a Southern pride symbol because, when you forget about the KKK, you'd know the flag also represented the Southern states in the past. You probably get ridiculed for flying the flag because, typically, 'rednecks' commonly use the flag, and rednecks aren't exactly the 'coolest' people in society, so they oftentimes get ridiculed. Also, some people may still perceive it as a racist symbol, and they can see your Black blood, so they think, "Wow, a dude that's part Black flying a racist Confederate flag," then they make fun of you. That probably explains why they ridicule you. No, it's not wrong to fly a Confederate flag because you have rights, but you should expect different reactions from other people.

• reme_1

The confederate flag stands for a very painful time in our history. Brothers fought brothers over the issue of slavery. Whole families were destroyed. Years of fighting because part of the country wanted slavery and part of it thought it was perverse.

Wrong is how you see it. As a Black man, I would think that flying a confederate flag would be like Jew wearing a swastike. It symbolizes hatred.

the confederate flag has nothing to do with racism it actually means southern pride. my brother has black friends that would fly that flag. that was when he lived in the south. so dont listen to these assholes

the comfederate flag although it represents a dark time in our countries past people often forget that it is part of our history it represents a time when people were so committed to their beliefs that thwe broke awat from the union and created their own country and fought and died for what they thought was right it is something that should not be forgotten in a way it is simmilar toi countries that still bear the english flag in their flag its a part of our history that cannot be forgotten

Fly your colors high and bright , Girlfriend!

nothing, don't let them get you down, its like Hanukkah and arbor day, some people celebrate it others don't, it doesn't mean you use it to represent your white supremacist ways, unless you do, then you shouldn't let a few people get to you. just be you and those people can go shove it.