Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsRodents · 1 decade ago

Can Rats, Gerbils and Hamsters Live in the Same Cage?

i have a rat and a gerbil but i am now getting a hamster i afraid i wont have the room please help i love my animals dearly i need it and i have done research it said nothing about same cage rules PLEASE help i love my pets dearly and im afraid of of injuring them so help plz

15 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I wouldn't put them in the cage together, even though they're similar, they are completely different species. Think of it as putting lizards, snakes, and frogs together, or cats and dogs.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

None of these animals can live in the same cage. As others have said rats are omnivores and will kill animals smaller them themselves.

Gerbils are extremely territorial and will often fight other gerbils to the death over territory(much less other rodents). I have a gerbil whom I rescued, who had it entire back ripped apart because of territorial cage mates. Gerbils can even decide to de-clan with cage mates they have been living with for months or years, causing fighting and territory issues

Syrian hamsters are also territorial, and prefer to live alone, and will kill cage mates(even brothers/sisters eventually). This type of hamster should never be housed with anything, even another hamster.

If you do not have the room for another pet, than it is better to stick with what you already have. You do not NEED another animal you WANT it. If you have done adequate research that you should come to the conclusion that not having enough room for your pets means you are not ready to own anything else.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

NO WAY.! you should never ever put two different species in one cage. The rat will attack and kill both of them , and possibly eat it too as they are omnivores. And the gerbil and hamster will not be comfortable living together and will probably fight a lot due to their territorial behavior.

i think instead of getting a hamster you should get another rat or gerbil because they need a friend to be happy.

• 1 decade ago

Never put any animal in the cage with your rat. As sweet as these creatures are, they are omnivores and will kill and eat any other animal it can overpower, and this certainly includes gerbils and hamsters! If you don't have enough room for more animals right now the only thing you can do is wait until you are able to provide appropriate housing and care for your pets.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

No the rat will kill both the gerbil and the hamster and the gerbil, and the gerbil and hamster will kill each other, all must have separate cages

Source(s): rescue and breeder for 10 yrs
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

I do not recommend placing these species in a cage together. They are both quite territorial species, and you will almost certainly deal with fighting, and the aftereffects thereof. In addition, they would probably spread disease to one another. Just not a good idea. But I'm glad you asked. :)

• 1 decade ago

NO! dont be ridiculous! NEVER MIX RODENTS! they will fight to the death! especially rats and hamsters! rats get on great with other rats but a hamster will attack a rat which will cause the rat to fight back and chances are the rat will win

• 1 decade ago

no, the rats will easily kill the gerbil and hamster. you need another rat for the rat you already have and you should get another gerbil.

• 1 decade ago

No,I wouldn't put them together,it would be a big mistake and they would probably fight with eachother. If you had them from the same litter(e.g. 2 hamsters) then you can put them together,if they are a different species,then no.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

sorry you really cant put those animals in a cage together. They will do a last pet alive wins kind of thing.

Good luck!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.