Infantile spasms...? Anyone with experience?

My daughter started having seizures when she was 6 days old. We were admitted to the hospital for testing and observation for 5 days. Her ultrasound and EEG were normal, but her pediatrician diagnosed her as having seizures. She was put on phenobarbitol when she was 9 days old. We saw a pediatric neurologist about a week ago (she's now 6 weeks old) who diagnosed her has having benign neonatal seizures, and said she will most likely grow out of them by 3 months of age. There is a chance that it could evolve into something more serious, such as epilepsy. Has anyone had an infant with this? What was the outcome? Did they outgrow it, and when?

• Brinly
    Favorite Answer

Well not my son but my husband yes. Something went wrong while he was being born and didn't get enough oxygen to his brain. He started to have seizures about that time as well. They put him on meds. His did grow to epilepsy. It's ok though, I know it's scary but they can be controlled by meds and if they are a person can live a very normal life. My husband has to be on meds the rest of his life for his epilepsy and if not then he will have seizures. He lives a very normal life with me and our son. So even though your daughter may have or end up with something like epilepsy just know that it will be ok. Sometimes they can outgrow it yes so keep that positive outlook as well. Good luck, I wish you the best.

Source(s): mom to almost 1 year old