Mopsy
Mopsy asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Why do people not want to adopt black dogs? Especially big black dogs?

I prefer them.

Samantha- I know, that, I was just meaning that I don't understand why they are always the last to be adopted. I have even looked into breeders for poodles, german shepherds, and other types of dogs, and for some, black dogs or mostly black dogs are less expensive!

Favorite Answer

Ignorance & stupidity.

Some people are blinded to the strong nerves/stable temperament of a dog, simply by the color of its coat. The color is so off putting they never look beneath to see if it is a dog that is compatible with their lifesyle & their capability as an owner.

Black is associated with so called dangerous dogs like Dobermanns & Rottweilers, breeds which are demonized in the media as devil dogs that might randomly take a chunk out of a passing human.

A well bred black & tan breed like a Dobermann, Rottweiler or GSD, would have a waiting list for a year or more & be expensive, but back yard breeders/puppy mills would sell for less than a responsible breeder, as they cut corners with their breeding.

I'm surprised that so many people have not heard of this. This is a fact. Black dogs, especially large black dogs, are the last to be adopted in shelters. An inordinate number of them are euthanized as unadoptable for no reason other than their color/size. It is not the shelter's fault, but for some reason these dogs are often passed up by potential adopters.

I don't know why, other than somehow people see black dogs as more aggressive, or something along those lines. They also tend to see dogs either in poorly lit fuzzy shelter photos, or in dim cages or kennels at shelters, so they just don't 'look' good, regardless of their personality. I have a (chubby) 40 lb lab mix who's all black and she's the sweetest little girl ever.

Anyone who's never heard this or does not believe it check out this website:

http://www.blackpearldogs.com/ It talks about this phenomenon, often termed 'Black Dog Syndrome'.

and here's an article from Time:

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,181...

Source(s): RVT--our local shelter often has large black dogs...and little space to spare
  • Pdub

I think it is just because there are so many of them and they can be somewhat intimidating to some (I love all colors of dogs!). Its the same for cats too. Black cats have a much lower adoption rate.

Our humane society has a Black Dog Club that helps these black dogs get adopted. I think its a great idea.

I agree with you. My guess is probably they're not 'cute' enough, and are more 'inconvenient' than little toy dogs. Some people find smaller dogs easier to take care of, and cost less to feed. As for being black, it is unfortunate that they are the least adopted because I think they're beautiful and it shouldn't matter what color they are anyway. Unfortunately many people base their entire decision when choosing a pet on how they look. Here in Georgia, our shelters are loaded down with what they call "GBD', or Georgia Black Dogs. Sad.

Source(s): Very common phenomenom where I live.

I like black dogs. My preferred breed is frequently seen in black coat. The coat of a healthy black dog glistening with blue or red highlights in the sun is just stunning. But I've heard that black dogs, especially larger black dogs don't have high adoption rates. I think this is sad. I've seen kids in my neighborhood run to yellow labs, but ignore the black labs (which aren't seen near as much) or the black lab mix down the street who is a real sweetheart. I think many people see the larger black dogs as intimidating and maybe don't want to take on a dog they or others perceive as dangerous.

My rescue Scottie attended several adoption drives and no one really wanted her. She was very timid and wouldn't have interacted much with strangers. We adopted her sight-unseen and drove hours to bring her home. I'm glad we opened our home and hearts to that little black dog--I miss her.

• Its a true fact. The last dogs to get adopted are large black dogs. I think most people adopting a dog find them daunting or intimidating. I have no care what my dogs look like. Everyone says i have the ugliest dogs! You know what, it doesn't matter! The dogs I have would have been euthanized...its about personality not looks!!

I would love to have a big black dog, it doesn't phase me one bit.

When I volunteered at the local shelter, there was a row of black lab/pit/shepherd dogs mixes that were there forever and came at different times. I felt bad and spent most of my time walking/working with them. They were big and hard to handle and the ones that got the most excitement when people showed up to look for a pet.

There's nothing wrong with big black dogs. I always try to tell my mom about this, but she always thinks that big black dogs and bulldogs are really mean. I think it's just the way they look that people don't like.

Well big dogs in general are usually more work because they need more excercise but im not sure if them being black has anything to do with it, most people i know prefer black dogs because white dogs look dirtier since their fur is light and the mud shows.

• Ellen

You've gotten some good answers.

In addition, it is not easy to get a good photo of a black dog, even in ideal conditions (I know -- I have one, and my favorite pics of her are against snow!).

And, even in person, it is often difficult to see their facial expressions, unless they are grinning outright -- dark eyes in a black face, hard-to-see muscle movement, nose blending in with the rest of the face, head blending in against the body. That, subliminally or openly, makes some people see less that is interesting or appealing in their faces.

Greyhound adoption folks often work to promote the black dogs.