Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsOther - Diseases · 1 decade ago

How much alcohol would you have to drink to get liver cirrhosis?

Hey there!

I heard that if you drink too much alcohol over a period of time then you can develop liver cirrhosis. So I was wondering how much alcohol would you have to drink daily to develop cirrhosis and for what period of time?

Thanks! :)

PS - I don't drink, I'm just curious! ^^

Favorite Answer

Actually that depends on the individual. Some can drink all their life and not get it, then some with less tolerance can have a drink maybe 3 times a week, then develop it.

The medical experts say that 10 years of heavy drinking can put a person on the road to having signs of cirrhosis. But you must understand that this varies so much from one person to another. We have all seen that person that has been drunk for 20 years and still hanging around while just recently there was a 22 year old that died from cirrhosis when he began drinking when he was 14 years old. So you can see how it is very difficult to determine what is going to be your lucky number as to how much it will take to get permanent scarring of the liver which is cirrhosis. Ten years must be the average time. I'm not sure what they mean by "heavy drinking" but it most likely includes drinking a good bit every day.

I got cirrhosis and hardly ever drank anything, maybe a beer once a month in the hot summer. My auto immune system attacks my liver and I had to get a transplant. So you don't have to drink to get cirrhosis. It's one of the reasons, but there is quite a number of things that can cause it. No matter what the reason is for having it, once you have it, the disease pretty much acts the same with everyone.

• joria

How Much Alcohol Causes Cirrhosis

A large amount.

Cirrhosis is the final stage of alcohol abuse, It progresses from fatty liver disease (this happens everytime you drink too much - your liver has a fat yellowy appearance) and then alcoholic hepatitis before expressing itself.

Chronic overabuse of alcohol will lead to cirrhosis with very serious complications. The important thing to realise is the degree of abuse required differes between individuals; some people can drink large amounts for years before cirrhosis whilst others may only abuse alcohol for a few years before cirrhosis.

Generally speaking women and Orientals are more at risk of the acute problems of alcohol.

Hope that helps

I am an alcoholic, best I can estimate I have averaged a fifth of whisky daily for about 25 years, still no signs at this point, good blood tests, etc. It has not been continual, I was sober for 12 years, 2 years and various shorter periods. Not sure if these periods of sobriety gave my liver time to recuperate or what. I am 65.

You don’t need to exercise for hours on end. Short, sharp sets of exercise will produce better results if you work hard. Get a bypassing rope, skip for two units, do push ups for 60 seconds or so, skip for two minutes, rest for example minute. Then change the push up to something else like sit ups as well as do the set again. Repeat it five times and it’s a fast, effective workout that will advance results than a long run or swim.

Alcohol-related liver disease (ARLD) is caused by drinking too much alcohol. The more you drink above the recommended limits, the higher your risk of developing ARLD.

drinking a large amount of alcohol in a short amount of time (known as binge drinking) can cause fatty liver disease and, less commonly, alcoholic hepatitis

You can know more other natural ways to improve liver,you can refer to here to understand more:http://adola.net/go/fattyliver-bible/

It's different for everybody. I don't think you should be having more than one drink a day. But some people drink all their lives and live till 90; some are advised by their doctors when they're in their 30s to quit because they already see damage! My dad died of alcoholism around age 47; his father drank heavily but stopped when he got a little older and he's in his 80s now... It all varies.

Hereditary health is a factor. Some people will develop it within 10 years of heavy drinking (8+ drinks) every day. Some, it takes 30-40 years. It's not pretty, I don't recommend it.

Yes your right - the quantity and time span are very much dependent upon the individuals tolerance level but basically its an alcoholics disease and so your looking at a considerable amount over years - hope this helps

Source(s): RGN