To anyone who has ever had their toenail removed to get rid of chronic ingrown toenails?

So I had ingrown toenail surgery the other day and what the doctor suggested was a procedure where they remove the whole nail and then it grows back a lot less wider, so that you're much less likely to have ingrown toenails ever again. He didn't do the procedure because my toe was really infected and... show more So I had ingrown toenail surgery the other day and what the doctor suggested was a procedure where they remove the whole nail and then it grows back a lot less wider, so that you're much less likely to have ingrown toenails ever again.

He didn't do the procedure because my toe was really infected and bad, so he went ahead and did the usual surgery and removed the ingrown parts, but he said if I ever got another one again after, then he thinks the surgery would be necessary.

My mom's ex bf had this procedure done and she said he never got another one again.

The way my toes are, they have a tendency to get ingrown no matter what I do, and it's just hereditary.

I was just wondering if this procedure hurts, and how long does it take for the nail to fall off and grow back?