Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

I have lost my faith in the bible?

Its kind of hard to believe god did this stuff.

God drowns the whole earth: In Genesis 7:21-23, God drowns the entire population of the earth: men, women, children, fetuses, and perhaps unicorns. Only a single family survives. In Matthew 24:37-42, gentle Jesus approves of this genocide and plans to repeat it when he returns.

God kills half a million people: In 2 Chronicles 13:15-18, God helps the men of Judah kill 500,000 of their fellow Israelites.

God slaughters all Egyptian firstborn: In Exodus 12:29, God the baby-killer slaughters all Egyptian firstborn children and cattle because their king was stubborn.

God kills 14,000 people for complaining that God keeps killing them: In Numbers 16:41-49, the Israelites complain that God is killing too many of them. So, God sends a plague that kills 14,000 more of them.

Genocide after genocide after genocide: In Joshua 6:20-21, God helps the Israelites destroy Jericho, killing men and women, young and old, cattle, sheep and donkeys. In Deuteronomy 2:32-35, God has the Israelites kill everyone in Heshbon, including children. In Deuteronomy 3:3-7, God has the Israelites do the same to the people of Bashan. In Numbers 31:7-18, the Israelites kill all the Midianites except for the virgins, whom they take as spoils of war. In 1 Samuel 15:1-9, God tells the Israelites to kill all the Amalekites men, women, children, infants, and their cattle for something the Amalekites ancestors had done 400 years earlier.

God kills 50,000 people for curiosity: In 1 Samuel 6:19, God kills 50,000 men for peeking into the ark of the covenant. (Newer cosmetic translations count only 70 deaths, but their text notes admit that the best and earliest manuscripts put the number at 50,070.)

3,000 Israelites killed for inventing a god: In Exodus 32, Moses has climbed Mount Sinai to get the Ten Commandments. The Israelites are bored, so they invent a golden calf god. Moses comes back and God commands him: Each man strap a sword to his side. Go back and forth through the camp from one end to the other, each killing his brother and friend and neighbor. About 3,000 people died.

The Amorites destroyed by sword and by Gods rocks: In Joshua 10:10-11, God helps the Israelites slaughter the Amorites by sword, then finishes them off with rocks from the sky.

God burns two cities to death: In Genesis 19:24, God kills everyone in Sodom and Gomorrah with fire from the sky. Then God kills Lots wife for looking back at her burning home.

God has 42 children mauled by bears: In 2 Kings 2:23-24, some kids tease the prophet Elisha, and God sends bears to dismember them. (Newer cosmetic translations say the bears maul the children, but the original Hebrew, baqa, means to tear apart.)

In psalm 137:9 "blessed is the one who grabs your little children and smashes them up against a rock"

Jeremiah 19:9 "I will make the people eat the flesh of their sons and daughters."

Some people say your not supposed to take those literally. So they are saying don't take the ones literal that they don't like? it clearly states those things.

Update:

If your hand or your foot causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.

19 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I believe the bible to be one really long and... well boring to be honest, work of fiction.

Believe what you want.

P.S.

John John.... you can't 'believe' or have 'faith' in athiesm, it's a LACK of belief.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

What is the question? Are you asking have you lost your faith? I presume you're asking why the deaths? In many cases these people worshiped false gods, occupied the Promised Land, and in the case of Sodom and Gomorrah practiced homosexuality and evil, tried to have sex with angels sent as messengers. So the actions of God are meant as warnings.

Lot's wife was killed for disobeying.

In the case of the Mount Sinai incident, he had just rescued them out of the hands of the Pharaoh with ten mighty plagues. Moses was only gone 40 days and nights.Then they made a golden calf to worship while Jehovah was giving Moses the ten commandments on stone.

If you will read each incident closely, you'll see the reasons for His actions.

With the death of Egyptians' firstborn, the ten plague, Jehovah was illustrating He is the only true God-not the millions of gods the Egyptians served. He also had given the Pharaoh ten chances to let them go. HE REFUSED. Pharaoh of course was guilty of being worshiped and egotistical.

Jehovah has patience but will not be tested or profaned endlessly. I suggest as homework to look up every instance mentioned above and find out the reason those deaths occurred. Also, find out why the death of Egyptian first born. It's interesting. I hope this helps.

Source(s): I'm a minister.
  • I think it's pretty ironic, and quite sad, actually, how people read only those parts of scripture which, as so many claim, show God's evil nature. If people would only read between the lines, they would see why God brought death and destruction upon so many people. Take, for example, the slaughtering of all the Egyptian firstborns. It goes much deeper than just being stubborn. Have you read Exodus 3:7-9? They were not slaughtered because Pharaoh was stubborn, they were slaughtered because Pharaoh was oppressing the Israelites, and upon being asked to let them go, he refused. In each instance that you have mentioned, there is a reason for God doing what He did. What about Hitler? Should he have been left alone to slaughter more Jews? And what about people in our time who commit unspeakable acts of violence? Do we not judge people and condemn them to death if we find, through our justice system, that their crimes are worthy of being punishable by death? Or could it be that a lot of people now days just want to do what pleases them, and to rid themselves of their conscience, they look for any excuse to rid themselves of their accountability, by attacking the very thing that makes them accountable? It's pretty sad that so many people don't realize that this world is what it is today, because we have forgotten about the very person under which this country was originally founded. God. The reason why this world is as messed up as it is, is because we have forgotten about God. We have created all our problems by the things we have done, and in many cases, the things that we have not done. And as for that last text, the one about your hand or foot, cutting it off and throwing it away? It's not literal. If you know a person to shoplift, and you know that hanging around this person will eventually get you into trouble, what is the logical thing to do? Sever your ties with that person. Right or wrong? Well there's your answer. That text does not imply that you should literally cut off your hand or foot. It is saying that if you know that something is wrong, and that being in a certain environment increases the chances of you doing that very thing which you know to be wrong, don't expose yourself to that kind of environment. And as far as the Amalekites go, and their ancestors having been the ones to commit the sins: consider this; it's the parents' job to teach their kids. The kids will learn whatever their parents teach them. If the parents teach their kids to be evil, what does that make their kids? If you want to understand the Bible, read it with prayer and an open mind.

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

The Bible reveals the power of God. God is omnipotent, omnipresent and omniscient. Works of God are beyond our imaginations and understanding, science is trying to understand what God has done. If you see thoroughly scientist had never created anything they only discovered something’s and invented something’s using things that already existing. The bible is not a science text book that everybody can read and understand. Leave alone evolution theory, big bang, they are all assumptions. Science could not explain simple things like the act of yawning which is so common, different scientist gave different explanation which contradicts each other. If you believe in God you will be more excited to note that science cold not explain the acts of God. Science can not explain how the Red sea divided to make a way for Israelites to walk through, science can not explain how a spring bought out of rock, science can not explain the plagues at Egypt, science can not explain how Jesus fed 5000 men with 5 loves of bread, science can not explain how the sea got calm with word of Jesus. Don’t lose faith but praise God, especially when you see that science does not match Biblical wonders. Because works of God are Beyond science.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

How did you find some of my reasons to be an atheist? You haven't even found all of them. Here's a link for more of the bible's hatred, but particularly against women. http://www.cybercollege.com/antiwoman.htm

While Stalin, Pol Pot, and others did kill millions of people, it wasn't because they were atheist. It was because they wanted to keep their power and influence and oppress anyone as a threat. Like Richard Dawkins says, Stalin and Hitler had a moustache, does that mean all people with moustaches are genocidal monsters? It's faulty logic to assume all atheist leaders kill people solely on the grounds that they are atheists. Think about it, atheist leaders allowed Communist Poland to have more Catholics, yet they weren't oppressing Poland for being Catholic. They were oppressing it because it was weak after the Nazi invasion by Hitler.

Praying to other gods is no excuse to kill people. If it were alright to kill people because they have different views, the human race would near extinction. I wouldn't follow god's footsteps in killing people on petty reasons.

• Daniel
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

You're putting your mind and morality above God. Many of those passages you mentioned deal with God punishing the wicked. You should have a bigger complaint about God not doing something about all the wicked evil people in the world instead of harping on him dealing with the wicked in some passages.

• 1 decade ago

First Thing: Don't let anyone, ANYONE let you decide on your faith.

The whole world is waiting for you. Just believe in what YOU want to believe in. There are thousands of religions out there.....don't rule them out just because a single religion says they're evil...there's no such thing as the devil...only evil people

• ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

NO no no !

dont say that,

the entire bible is not a waste of time!

what people interpret to be from God is not always true\, i accep tthat!

but what makes a difference is faith in righteousness of God.

we should seek the kingdom of God and His righteousness, nothing else is more true than this.

i beleive this totally,

i am a witness of christ I know there is a God and i know there is a Christ.

let \us all not forget this

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I agree with the first answer. Its not that Yahweh God was evil. Others can be accused of the same things also.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

hey it maybe hard to believe but look at it this way...when you read the newspaper doesn't it say that people are killing each other?...you can believe it because the newspaper says so....but hey the bible says that god did all that stuff because he can do it.... the bible is a book, but not any kind of book... it's a book that speaks the truth....

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

You're trying to accuse God of being evil when pagan gods did the same sort of things in their mythology. So what is the difference.

I've breezed threw your scriptures that you listed and it was all wars. Were speaking about "ancient tribes". Who fought tribal wars. Every tribe can be accused of this stuff.

The Mayans sacrificed humans is their god Quetzalcoatl evil?

The Philistines worshiped Molech who sacrificed babies and little children in furnaces. Its many things that occurred more worse then what the Hebrews did.

It was just basic mentality of "ancient barbaric people".

(edit) Now you're jumping from Old Testament to New Testament. Pleases learn how to carry a conversation!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.