I want an animal who can roam the house freely - no dogs, no cats.?

Ok, so my 8-year-old bunny passed away about 6 months ago. We're thinking about getting a new pet and I want with all my heart to have a pet that can roam the house freely. People tell me bunnies can roam - but I am not taking that risk. Electrical cords, hiding in places I could never find, it's just not... show more Ok, so my 8-year-old bunny passed away about 6 months ago. We're thinking about getting a new pet and I want with all my heart to have a pet that can roam the house freely. People tell me bunnies can roam - but I am not taking that risk. Electrical cords, hiding in places I could never find, it's just not gonna happen. So here's the thing. A dog is out of the question - my mom absolutely hates them (bitten as a child) and there's no way that's happening. My dad is allergic to cats.

Soo... we're basically screwed, right?
Update: For the person who said guinea pig - what kind of guinea pig can freely roam a house without killing itself in a couple of minutes? How stupid are you, really?