Who is left responsible for this loan?

hi, my daddy recently passed away and it was unexpected. my question is he had a personal loan from a business he and a friend had sold and taken a loss on a couple of years ago.the balance is around 40,000 and his ex friend is sorry and never really made a payment.almost every payment made for the past 3 years was... show more hi, my daddy recently passed away and it was unexpected. my question is he had a personal loan from a business he and a friend had sold and taken a loss on a couple of years ago.the balance is around 40,000 and his ex friend is sorry and never really made a payment.almost every payment made for the past 3 years was by my daddy. his friend never really got another job or tried to make an income of any kind and just lives off of other people. anyway, the only colatteral on the loan are my dads 2 vehicles which are only worth about 10,000 combined and the bank is telling my mom that they can take the balance owed out of my daddys life insurance she will get. that would take almost 1/2 of it from her. is she responsible for the balance owed or is his friend/ ex business partner whose name is on the loan with my dad? my mom is not now and has never been on the loan at all. thanks!
2 answers 2