Angelfish, Gouramis and Silver $s???????????

I have a 29 gallon aquarium. I am waiting for the cycle to finish soon and am really wanting these breeds of fish.

I HAVE , DONT GO OMG AND START TO FREAK OUT I HAVE 1 AFRICAN CLAWED FROG, WHO I KNO EAT FISH BUT HE ISNT LIKE OTHER ACFS HE DOESNT EAT FISH THAT ARE BIGGER THAN 1.5 INCHES....I SHOULD KNO HE WAS HOUSED WITH FEEDER COMMETS AND DIDNT TOUCH OR ATTACK THEM, THEY WENT IN FROUNT OF HIS FACE AND HE DIDT MIND. THE ONLY FISH HE ATE WERE GUPPIES BUT HE IS FED ALL HIS LIFE PELLETS SO THAT MAY BE AREASON WHY HE DOESNT EAT FISH. hE IS OLD AS WEKK SOMEWHERE FROM 9 TO 10 YEARS AND LAZY ABOUT 5 INCHES AS WELL.

I was planing on getting this many of each fish in my 29 gallon

1 = Angelfish

1 or 2 = Pearl Gourami

1 or 2 = Silver $

1 = Alga Eater

I know that I do NOT want fighting among fish so maby only one of each fish. I know

* Angels can be very territory while they are a breeding pair

- Thats why I only want one

* Gouramis can be mean to te same breed especially other males

- I dont know how aggressive while breeding but heard peacful so i was going to get 2.

* SIlver dollars can be scared eaily so thats why I have safe fake plants

- thats why i was going to get 2 but maby one so it can hang with angelfish and my aquarium isnt big enough for 4-6 school of them.

*alga eaters i had one before that grew to the aquarium. Friendly twords other fish.

So should I go with Choice : A, B, or C????

A.) 1 Pearl Gourami, 1 Angelfish, 1 Silver Dollar, and 1 Alga Eater and my frog fo course

B.) 2 Pearl Gouramis, 1 Angelfish, 1 silver dollar, and 1 alga and my frog

C.) 2 Pearl Gouramis, 1 Angel, 2 silvers, adn 1 alga and my frog

1.) So, Should I go with choice A, B, or C??????

2.) Or should I stick with a few of one breed and which breed of fish??

I was planning on gettin bigger tank in a few months for an oscar a 55 gallon. Now since oscars cant live in one i have to look at a different breed. Too bad they cant live in 29 gallon...if he could id get him and only him..lol

Best Answer

Instead of reading your choices...I just looked at the species you listed and went with what I know about them.

Angelfish...1 is fine.2 would be OK...don't think you would have issue...but 1 is fine and not that much issue to tank load.

Pearl Gourami....pretty peaceful,most time even the males don't squabble. 2 is fine.

Silver Dollars...at least 3.They are schoolers and it makes them more comfortable and less skittish.They are also very low bio-load (even for their size)

Algae Eater...hoping you mean Oto or Bristlenose Plec.Otos are fairly low-load....BP is smaller Plec (less load than larger Plecs and about even with CAE or SAE if that's what you meant.

So my stocking list looks like...

1 Angelfish

2 Pearl Gourami

3 Silver Dollars

1 Bristlenose Plec...

Anyone who wants to scream "the 1" Rule" or "overstocked" needs to consider ACTUAL bio-load on the tank because 1" of one fish does not equal 1" of another fish

With some tall plants (fake or live) for decor and some driftwood for the BP and frog...and using a filter turning at least 300gph...there is no reason it won't work.

Get a test kit...keep it at ammonia 0/nitrite 0/nitrate 10(or less) with water changes...no reason it can't be a happy long-term "community" tank.

If thinking about a 55g for an Oscar (and just an Oscar) go for it...55g is the minimum for one (stay on top of the water quality though),they can still grow out to 15" in that long-term.

i thought ur frog was 7 years old, so today is 10 but okay it cant eat a gourami anyways, is too big. i would go with choice "A" as is difficult to sex gouramis, and u dont want 2 males that kill each other, same goes for the angelfish, silver dollars grow to 8" and a 29 is a bit small besides u will get bored with them once u realize how boring they are when they are not in a school and do not show their normal behaviour. oscars cant really live in a 55 gallon tank, they can but they wont be happy in it once they are adults thats why they get sick more often and act more lethargic as they get bigger. and what type of algae eater are you talking about? if its a pleco i hope is one of the dwarf ones otherwise look in the future to buy another 55 gallon tank for a big pleco by itself.

Source(s): been fish keeping for years and etc. yea all that, and yes yahoo hates me they banned my last account but here i am back from the dead
  • Daniel

This is not one of your answers but silver dollar fish need be in a shoal of at least 6 members. You said it yourself, they are a shy fish and they think safety in numbers.

So this is what I would do:

- 1 Angelfish

- 1 Pearl Gourami

- 1 Dwarf pleco (i.e. rubbermouth pleco)

Try to find a substitute for the silver dollar fish. I do not think there will be enough room in the tank.

Or

Just have 6 silver dollar fish and a rubber mouth pleco.

Good Luck!

Source(s): Me!