promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

What is wrong with the so called "prosperity gospel"?

I have heard that a small sect of evangelical Christians are opposed to the so-called "prosperity gospel". The prosperity gospel is the gospel that teaches that God wants us all to be successful beings and that through faith in God we can all be successful. People like Joel Osteen preach this kind of gospel. Unless I am missing something I don't see how this is unbiblical. God did not put us here to suffer, he wants us to have faith in him and to be the best we can be. He has given each and every one of the tools to be a successful human being.

What do you think? What is so wrong with the prosperity gospel?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Jesus looked at him and loved him. "One thing you lack," he said. "Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Mark 10:21

Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me. Mathew 19:21

When Jesus heard this, he said to him, "You still lack one thing. Sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me." Luke 18:22

Its in three of the gospels so its pretty clear. Jesus wasnt for treasure on Earth

Source(s): the Bible
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 decade ago

What's wrong with the prosperity GOSPEL is that it substitutes worldly pursuits for spiritual pursuits as the "good news" (the meaning of the word gospel) of God, rather than the good news of spiritual redemption/salvation by the death of Christ.

In other words, Christ didn't die so you can buy a nice house, a nice car, and send your kids to college. Society says these things are evidences of worldly "success". But what does this say about believers who are poor? That God does not love them as much as prosperous folks? It is too easy for people to judge holiness by who has the most possessions rather than serve God by serving those with the least possessions.

However, Chrsitianity does not forbid worldly success. Hard work, thoughful investments, and material abundance is not sinful per se. It's just that the wealthy must remember those who don't have material abundance and to be fair-dealing, honest, and generous with the abundance.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Do some serious research on Joel Osteen, Benny Hinn, Kenneth Copeland, John Hagee, Paul Crouch, and on and on the list goes, and you will soon find that these prosperity teachers are fleecing the flock of God - many of whom are giving out of their need to support them, while they are living luxuriously in their penthouses, flying extremely expensive private planes, owning multi-million dollar homes, giving money to their relatives as well as other perks including free housing and so on, staying in the most expensive hotels, wearing the finest suits, and wearing rolexes and on and on that list could go.

It is amazing to me that anyone could be so blind to what is going on when wolves in sheeps clothing live fat off their supporters knowing that a good number of them are barely making it month to month, and still give their hard earned money to support these pretenders.

Spiritual riches are vastly more important than material riches, and these people have twisted and perverted the gospel and they will have their just reward.

As the case was with Lazarus and the rich man, they have their reward in this life. Unless they repent they will reap the rewards in the life to come that the rich man in this story received.

For those who say we are not to judge. Study your Bible beginning with I Corinthians 2:15, I Corinthians 6:2-5, Matthew 12:33 and John 7:24. We are encouraged to judge by the Lord Jesus Christ himself as well as the apostle Paul. The judgment must be based on the Word of God and we are exhorted to judge "righteous judgment."

• The prosperity gospel teaches more that God will make us wealthy in monetary terms. God has different plans for all of us. John the Baptist wasn't rich with money, and neither were any of the Apostles.

When you say the Lord's Prayer it says to give us this day our daily bread. Give us what we need for today.

It goes against a lot of scripture to say that God wants us to have lots of money

God Bless You

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Kaworu
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

It teaches people to be greedy, money grubbing materialists (as if they needed help), while discouraging compassion for the poor. After all, the poor just didn't pray hard enough to be blessed with success. It goes against Luke 18:18-25 and 1 Timothy 6:10. Therefore, it is unbiblical.

• FROG E
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Nothing......God does want us all to be prosperous, but that does not mean money and material things alone.

God's word is not limited to one teaching....those that just preach this one teaching should be avoided.

btw....the "gospel" is the good news of salvation....not to be used in other teachings

• Anonymous
    4 years ago

No they were not poor. All the big players in the OT were wealthy and in the NT, Jesus received gifts of gold as a baby, enough to support 12 men and their families as they wandered around spreading the news later in life. Job, Solomon, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David all rich. Even Jesus was put in a very expensive tomb when he died.

• 1 decade ago

It is a fake gospel God wants you to tell everyone about Jesus

The Promise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4m-U_q1ABk

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

All I Did For Thee

http://www.biblebelievers.com/AllThis.html

• Ashnod
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Didn't Jesus ask his followers to give up all their material possessions and follow him? To feed and clothe the poor and the needy? That what you do for the least of his children, you do to him? And wasn't there something about it being easier for a camel to get through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to get into the Kingdom of Heaven?

• 1 decade ago

So if I give my money to the church, God will give me a new Lexus. Is that the mindset you are attempting to convey?

People misuse the concept of "blessing", translating it as material/monetary, rather than in regards to our walk with God.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.