Do most mild cases of Swine Flu require Tamiflu?

Is it just people who get it severely that need Tamiflu to ease their symptoms? If so, why are we all getting so worried about the shortage of Tamiflu - most of us will get by on Lemsip, lots of fluids and bed rest, surely???

All this makes me wonder if the drugs companies are pushing the need for us to have Tamiflu, rather than a genuine medical need.

Your thoughts...

• John A
    Favorite Answer

Tamiflu is a cash cow for Big Pharma. Just look at who owns most of the stock in Gilead Sciences - Donald Rumsfeld and George Shultz, both Bilderberg attendees.

Even if it does what it says, it only relieves symptoms for 48 hours. You don't need to take medication for flu, because that's all it is - a flu. swine flu isn't the boogeyman we're being told it is.

• _

Whoever makes the drug tamiflu must have good marketing to have gotten a lot of attention when it was first relased a few years ago. With so many people thinking of and afraid of this year's flu and the mass media scaring people about a great flu for years everyone is thinking and talking about tamiflu. It is only a drug, ask a doctor what might be best for you and if you need anything. To other twits on Yahoo answers, a popular topic was did the american D. Rumsfeld, own some part of tamiflu. Who knows if he owns shares in the company that makes tamiflu and who cares. If you tell me you bank account and how much you have in it then I'll tell you if I own stock in the company that makes tamiflu.

i had sypmtoms of swine flu for 3 weeks and i took over the counter remedies for that time, i had to finally get Tamiflu on tuesday night from the hospital, and i was told off for not getting it sooner because i am diabetic and have kidney problems.

I did try and get rid of the symptoms i had before i went to the doctors in the end.

I Think people are getting Tamiflu when they really dont need it because you cannot actually see a doctor they basically take your word for it that you have they symptoms you tell them.

More needs doing because people who genuinely will get it and need the tamiflu will find soon there is none left

• Dave could have a point. It could lead to the virus mutating to a form that is resistant to it. However, everybody that has swine flu should be treated as if they were going to get it bad. The use of tamiflu helps to suppress the virus, so that people will be less infectious, shortening the time that they are able to spread it to other people. It's also possible that a mild dose could develop into a life threatening situation rather too quickly. I think it's a reasonable precaution to take, given the potential situation we face.

I agree with you, I think that unless you have underlying problems and in very rare cases, we should be fine if we get it. It's just another type of flu after all.

I had flu once and it was awful really bad, but the treatment was the same as a cold paracetamol, fluid etc.

We don't all need to be necking tamiflu the first time we sneeze!!

Swine flu is much more serious. It seems to infect younger people as well as older people, but it infects anyone. The younger ones get it pretty bad and some can die from it. It is not easy to get rid of and has lasting affects especially in lung conditions and wants to settle there. So it isn't worth the risk for your son who has asthma to catch the swine flu. How ever long it takes and the school may close for a few days until the coast is clear of swine flu cases. You may want to consult your doctor.

i recently got put on tamiflu for suspected swine flu my dr said there was hardly any cases in the co tyrone area but my symptoms matched that of swine flu i do have underlying health problems and so was given this tamiflu when my friend picked up my script she was told by the pharmacist that there was Absolutely loads of people in co tyrone with swine flu being treated with tamiflu

I would be very wary of taking anything such as Tamiflu because people I know have had very nasty side effects from doing so over the past couple of weeks.

That's just my opinion though and everyone else's symptoms may well be different. I found paracetamol plus, lots of clear fluids and plenty of rest was the best for me.

• REDRUM

Tamiflu just reduces the symptoms, not always a cure. It takes time and rest to get rid of the swine flu. You don't have to take it.

• I believe they do not and that it would be better to treat oneself with paracetamols, hot drinks and lots of rest. I am sure that Tamiflu has serious side effects and could have long lasting complications. It appears that its powers are minimal and short lasting and if one is seriously ill with this flu then hospitalisation must be the really effective action .