Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 decade ago

how to make a nice toffee recipe?

im doing a skool projet and im looking for a nice toffee recipe?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • anne b
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

455 g butter

400 g white sugar

2 g salt

335 g semisweet chocolate chips

140 g finely chopped almonds

DIRECTIONS

In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Allow to come to a boil, and cook until the mixture becomes a dark amber color, and the temperature has reached 285 degrees F (137 degrees C). Stir occasionally.

While the toffee is cooking, cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.

As soon as the toffee reaches the proper temperature, pour it out onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate over the top, and let it set for a minute or two to soften. Spread the chocolate into a thin even layer once it is melted. Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and press in slightly. Putting a plastic bag over your hand will minimize the mess.

Place the toffee in the refrigerator to chill until set. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.

• 3 years ago

Hard Toffee Recipe

• 1 decade ago

Tom's Toffee

Ingredients

1/2 lb unsalted butter

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped

1/3 cup chocolate chips, bittersweet, dark, or semi-sweet

Method

Combine first 3 ingredients and boil, stirring constantly until it thickens and looks like a brown paper bag. Pour on greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top. Let melt and spread smooth over the mixture. Let cool and harden. Break into pieces.

• 4 years ago

Original Bonfire Toffee Ingredients 300g / 12oz Demerara sugar 100g / 4oz butter 2 level tablespoons of golden syrup 1 level tablespoon of black treacle 4 tablespoons of water Method (1) Put all the ingredients into a pan. (1) Heat slowly, stirring until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. (1) Bring to the boil. Cover the pan, and boil gently for 2 minutes. (1) Uncover the pan, and continue to boil for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. (1) Test by dropping a little of the mixture into a cup of cold water. It should seperate into brittle threads. (1) Pour into a buttered 15cm / 6in square tin, and leave to set. (1) Turn out on a board, and break up with a small hammer. Makes about 500g / 1LB of Toffee.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • marie
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

These are my faves-

INGREDIENTS (Nutrition)

455 g butter

400 g white sugar

2 g salt

335 g semisweet chocolate chips

140 g finely chopped almonds (optional)

DIRECTIONS

In a large heavy bottomed saucepan, combine the butter, sugar and salt. Cook over medium heat, stirring until the butter is melted. Allow to come to a boil, and cook until the mixture becomes a dark amber color, and the temperature has reached 285 degrees F (137 degrees C). Stir occasionally.

While the toffee is cooking, cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper.

As soon as the toffee reaches the proper temperature, pour it out onto the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate over the top, and let it set for a minute or two to soften. Spread the chocolate into a thin even layer once it is melted. Sprinkle the nuts over the chocolate, and press in slightly. Putting a plastic bag over your hand will minimize the mess.

Place the toffee in the refrigerator to chill until set. Break into pieces, and store in an airtight container.

I also love this one =]

Ingredients

2 cups of sugar

3 quarters cup of cold water

1 tablespoon of brown or white vinegar

Directions

place all ingredients in a saucepan, stir over heat until sugar dissolves bring to the boil (do not stir)

cook until golden brown, remove from heat and allow bubbles to settle. pour into small patty cake papers

Very simple!!

This one is also very sweet and delish ! =]

Ingredients:

1 Cup Water

2 Cup sugar

4 sticks sweet (unsalted) butter

1 lb. raw shelled almonds

1 1/2 lb. milk chocolate

Instructions:

Grease 2 9x13 pans and place in ice water. I've found that non-stick pans don't need to be greased. I run a couple of inches of water into my sinks and dump a tray of ice cubes in each and then put my pans in. It's important that the toffee cool quickly.

Chop half the almonds finely. I put them into the food processor. There should be smallish chunks left and a fair amount of almond dust.

Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. The quality of the chocolate is important. I've been using Hershey's Symphony Bars. White chocolate might be amusing. If you try it, let me know.

You'll need a large heavy pot to cook the toffee in: I use a Dutch oven. The size and weight of the pot is important. You don't want the toffee to burn and the heavy pot helps distribute the heat evenly. Plus, the mixture increases significantly in volume while boiling, so the pot needs to be large.

Stirring constantly over high heat, cook water and sugar until stringy. There's some debate over what the "stringy" instruction from the original recipe means. We've taken it to mean that when you pour the cooking mixture off your spoon, you don't get individual drops. Instead, you get something that looks like a continuous string. I often get a couple of separate strings pouring off the spoon.

Stirring constantly over high heat, add butter, 1 stick at a time.

Stirring constantly over high heat, add whole almonds. Continue stirring until you smell the roasted almonds. The mixture will take on a distinct brown color just before this and you'll feel the texture of the mixture changing.

Pour into pans in ice water. I try to stir the stuff while pouring; otherwise the almonds don't get distributed real evenly throughout the mix. Don't try to spread the stuff with a tool; just try to pour it evenly. Sugar behaves funny in this state and pushing it around will change the texture of the result. I've read that you shouldn't scrape out the contents of the pan either. The stuff that sticks is chemically different from the stuff that pours. I've not noticed that much sticks, so it isn't really a problem. Once the pans are cool enough that they aren't warm to the touch, I throw them into the freezer for 15 minutes.

Cover with half the chocolate and then half the chopped nuts. I press the nuts into the chocolate with the spoon that I used for spreading the nuts. Then back into the freezer for another 15 minutes and then cover other half with remaining chocolate and nuts.

Break into pieces and store in the freezer.

In my personal opinion, the second is the easiest and best, but it depends on yur taste buds :)

Hope I helped

Bernice

• 1 decade ago

how to make toffees

3 cups sugar

1 cup water

1/4 cup brown vinegar

1. Place sugar, water and vinegar into saucepan, stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved brush down sides of saucepan with brush dipped in hot water to remove any sugar from sides of pan.

2. Increase heat, boil rapidly uncovered for approx 15 Min's or until a small amount, when dropped into cold water will crack. This gives a good hard toffee. ( if you prefer the "stick jaw"or more stretchy toffee, boil for 10 - 12 Min's only or until a small amount, when dropped into cold water, forms a soft ball between the fingers.) Remove from heat while testing.

3. When toffee is ready, remove from heat, stand saucepan in cold water 1 min. Remove pan from water, and all all the bubbles to subside.

4. For easier handling pour toffee into heatproof jug. Then, pour into paper cases. (To keep good shape while toffees set, stand paper cases in patty cake tins.) Leave 2 Min's before decorating with coconut or hundreds- and - thousands.

• toffee bars

2 cups flour

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup white sugar

2 egg yolks

1 tsp maple extract

1 stick butter

mix well and spread on to a greased cookie sheet bake at 400 for 16 minutes

when done take a huge hersey bar break into pieces and place on top of hot cookie, when melted spread and then sprinkle with what ever chopped nuts grab you cut into small bars and enjoy

• 1 decade ago

Ingredients

1 lb butter

2 cups sugar

1/4 cup water

1 cup pecans (chopped)

6 Hershey chocolate candy bars (full size candy bars)

Directions

1Grind up pecans and set aside.

2Break up the Hershey Bars along the scored lines of the candy bar. Take all the broken up chocolate pieces and break in half again. You want to have small bite size pieces.

3Spread pecans and chocolate pieces evenly over a raised side cookie sheet or jelly roll pan. I usually save a little bit of the chocolate to sprinkle on top of the toffee mixture.

4Add butter, sugar and water to a heavy 4 quart sauce pan. Boil on high to 300 degrees on a candy thermometer.

5Pour mixture over pecans and chocolate. If you reserved any chocolate from step 3, sprinkle it on top of the toffee mixture.

6Set aside to cool.

7When toffee has hardened, break up into pieces and store in a air-tight container.

8Enjoy!

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

QUICK BROWN-SUGAR TOFFEE BARS

1 c. packed brown sugar

1 c. flour

1/2 c. butter (room temp.)

2 lg. eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

3 chocolate covered toffee bars (Skor or Heath, about 1.25 oz each) chopped coarse

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9 or 8 inch square pan with foil. Grease foil.

Beat sugar, flour, butter, eggs and vanilla in a large bowl with electric mixer about 3 minutes until fluffy. Spread in pan. Sprinkle with toffee. Bake 25 minutes for 9 inch or 35 minutes for 8 inch pan or until lightly browned.

Super easy but still yummy!

• 1 decade ago

You might like this one. It's sure popular everywhere I take it.

============================================

"FOOL'S" TOFFEE

Ingredients:

36 to 40 saltine crackers (1 long sleeve)

1 cup (2 sticks) butter (no substitutions)

1 cup packed dark brown sugar

2 cups (12 ounces) milk or dark chocolate chips

1 cup chopped pecans

TO PREPARE:

Line a 10x17-inch baking pan with foil and coat the foil with butter. Arrange the crackers in a single layer with sides touching in the prepared pan. Combine 1 cup butter and brown sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.

Pour the butter mixture over the crackers. Using a wooden spoon, spread the mixture evenly over the crackers. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and let stand for 2 minutes or until the chocolate chips soften. Spread the chocolate evenly over the prepared layers using a knife or metal cake spatula. Sprinkle with the pecans and press lightly. Chill for 30 minutes or until set. Break into pieces and store in a covered container in the refrigerator.

NOTE: Saltine crackers may seem like an unusual ingredient

to use in a toffee recipe, but do not be "fooled"

into thinking this is a mistake. This secret

ingredient makes the toffee much lighter and

crispier than using graham crackers. Teenagers love

to make this candy. Makes great gifts for teachers,

coaches, or friends. SERVES: 8 - 12

===============================================

Here is a Regular Toffee Recipe I've had for many years:

TOFFEE "IMPERIAL" (almond roca-like)

Ingredients:

1 cup fine quality margarine

1-1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar

2/3 cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds

4 (1-ounce) Hershey bars

1/2 cup finely chopped toasted almonds

TO PREPARE:

Combine margarine and sugar in a heavy two-quart saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring, until mixture comes to a full boil. Do not burn. Continue to boil, stirring occasionally, until mixture reaches the hard-crack state or a candy thermometer registers 300 degrees. Remove from heat. Quickly stir in coarsely chopped almonds. Pour into a greased nine by thirteen-inch pan. Let stand until set but still very warm. Place pieces of Hershey bars over the top; as chocolate softens, spread evenly with a spatula. Immediately sprinkle with finely chopped almonds. Lightly press almonds into the chocolate. Cool until completely hardened. Break toffee into irregular pieces; store in a covered container.

NOTE: Margarine works as well as butter in this recipe.

YIELD: 1-1/3 pounds of toffee

===============================================

Enjoy!

Source(s): My own recipe files, given to me long ago by someone who brought it to a luncheon and EVERYONE wanted the recipe.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.