Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

Why does the US media refuse to report on negative news from canada or europe?

like serial killers, high crime rates, race riots, dilapidated infrastructure, failing health care, etc....

Favorite Answer

because reporting on serial killers in canada or race riots in the UK or deteriorating education and health care in the netherlands would mean ditching their marxist dream

• ?

HHmmmm I thought about this before. I think that truly I would rather have bad things be 'news'. Think about when somebody says, "That's news to me!" It's like something unheard of. I want the bad things to be like that. Then all we see are the bad things...and yes it does affect us. It's been doing that to me a LOT lately. The past few days I haven't been in the greatest mood and I'll just see random ppl and put them into groups in my head just by looking at them --it disgusts me and is quite unlike me normally--I'm just glad I am at the point where I still realize I am doing this the whole time, it hasn't become normal to me. Maybe somebody should make a weekly show called Nice News ;) It's got alliteration with the two N's...it would only be once a week so it wouldn't be TOO boring...and maybe it only needs to be a half an hour long. We could get ppl to vote for their fav. nice news stories :) I wish it could actually work.

Because stories from elsewhere don't interest Americans unless they're really crazy.

I've lived in Canada. There are less serial killers, lower crime rates, and less dilapidated infrastructure. Not sure about Europe.

The answer is, though... Americans really aren't interested in world affairs unless it concerns them.

Hell, the media will barely talk about Iraq anymore. But did you hear the latest on Michael Jackson?

Because the U.S. media is extremely biased one way or the other, and reporting on all those things would cause trouble for the news companies' financial situations. Plus, I have a strong feeling that the government leans on the media heavily to avoid airing such things.

Also, in terms of mainstream news, it isn't viewed as relevant to our situation. However, I feel that if people were more aware of these situations in countries like Canada, the Netherlands, etc. they would feel much differently about the direction in which our new president is taking the country. So the idea that being aware of the foreign situations you mentioned is irrelevant to us is a huge misconception.

Source(s): My Humble Opinion
  • rod

Canada has 14 murders for every 1 million people.

USA has 42 murders for every 1 million people...3 times as many as Canada.

USA is 24th on the list of countries with most murders per capita. Canada is 44th on that list

Maybe they just can't find the time to report Canadian murders after all the USA murders?

I'm still waiting for the US media to report on the UN study that shows both canada and the UK have higher overall crime rates than the US. Dan Rather tried to report on it years ago and it almost cost him his job. Google about it.

canada could have a holocaust and the US media would support it. As for europe, europe in the eyes of the left wing media is something like "It's a small world after all"

• madart

We don't report much news at all about other countries but I have seen "negative" stories about Europe. You must not read much news.

• Jose

Because Our Media works for the president.

You know why, because there's not much. They haven't been saddled for years by ignorant conservatives running things. Thank god the rule of ignorance is over in the U.S. I just hope it doesn't take too long to catch up with them.