How did someone get my Debit Card number and use it in a Walmart without the card?

I got a phone call from Fraud Prevention, and while I was waiting decided to check my account to see if something was up. Yep.. someone used my debit card number and spent luckily only $368.91. My pin was not used, and I physically have my card in my possession. I have to go to the bank tomorrow and fill out... show more I got a phone call from Fraud Prevention, and while I was waiting decided to check my account to see if something was up. Yep.. someone used my debit card number and spent luckily only $368.91. My pin was not used, and I physically have my card in my possession. I have to go to the bank tomorrow and fill out paperwork to get my money back, and will get it back, but I don't understand how they did it. I could see if they got my number and used it online, but they actually went into a Walmart and spent the money. That's what I don't understand, they can't just hand a credit card number to the cashier and the cashier use it, They had to of made a card or something. What could I have done to give them this ability, I'm baffled. Like I said I could see if it was online but it was only about 4 counties away from me- So they had to of somehow got the info here physically- I need ideas of how they did it, so I know how to prevent it next time.
Update: Yes I did use an ATM on Friday, they did not get my pin number though because my pin was not used, if that is how it happened