What is the sequence for traffic lights, red, amber green, but what's flashing amber?

Hi,

I have a important practical driving test coming up, and I just wanted to know, what does a flashing amber light mean. I get so confused, because I know it goes from Red, to amber to green, but sometimes when i reach near the traffic lights, it's flashing amber, and I don't know what to do.

I would really appreciate if someone could tell me, and help me, and also tell me the order of traffic lights.. I'm nervous about my test, and traffic lights always let me down :(

and to tel lyou the truth, im not that confident about taking the test, ive failed once

• BSMGUY
    Best Answer

I take it this is a USA question. Because here in the UK, a flashing amber light is only on certain pedestrian crossings.

Flashing Amber Traffic Light

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Hi,

I have a important practical driving test coming up, and I just wanted to know, what does a flashing amber light mean. I get so confused, because I know it goes from Red, to amber to green, but sometimes when i reach near the traffic lights, it's flashing amber, and I don't know what...

Source(s): sequence traffic lights red amber green 39 flashing amber: https://shortly.im/5S7ca

It's in the highway code rule 196, flashing amber = proceed if the crossing is clear. Ordinary traffic lights, rule 175 on

Flashing amber is found at a Pelican Crossing. It means you can proceed but ONLY if the crossing is clear. You must not start to drive off if it begins to flash with people on the crossing. You will fail your test if you do.

By the way I am in the UK, this answer applies to the traffic lights in the UK.

EDIT: In the UK we have three main kinds of crossing. A pelican crossing is a traffic light controlled pedestrian crossing. A puffin crossing is similar to a pelican crossing but the pedestrian lights are on the side of the traffic light pole and there is no flashing amber light. Then there is a zebra crossing so called because of its black and white pattern on the road. Cars have to give way once a person steps onto the crossing if it crosses the road without a central reservation. If with a central reservation cars should give way once a person steps onto the part of the crossing that affect your side of the road

Most answer above are spot on.

All you really need to remember is. Flashing amber you give way to pedestrians on the crossing. If there are no pedestrians you can go.

Flashing amber is on light controlled pedestrian crossings. It follows red and means vehicles can proceed IF there is no pedestrian on the crosssing. If it's green you go anyway. If it's red, you must stop.

Ordinary TLs go Red(stop), red+amber (get ready), green(go), amber (you should stop) red (stop).

UK;;drive with caution, a crossing for horses animals oap ,tractors, heavy lorries,school children and traffic warden crossing,nearing a fire station concealed entrance /exit, basically slow down and be alert.

Red means stop.

Yellow means prepare to stop.

Green means go.

Flashing red means stop at the light, but continue through (think of it like a stop sign)

Flashing yellow means to go right through (don't stop) but use caution (mainly, make sure no one coming from the other direction is going to run the light and hit you)

Flashing amber means yield . If it is on a normal traffic light it means the other way has the right of way so you need to yield.