Squea asked in PetsHorses · 1 decade ago

Do you think I could properly care for a miniature horse?

I have a great intrest in miniature horses. I already have a full sized horse that I have owned for almost a year. I board him at a stable near my house. I want to keep the miniature horse in my huge backyard though. I want to convert the shed i have into a stable and build a enclosure for it to eat grass and do stuff miniature horses do. I have expierence showing them and caring for them, as well as feeding and giving supplements/ dewormer and stuff.

Best Answer

i dont see why not! you seem to have the experience necessary to care for one. i hope you have a good network of people or even just someone to call who knows mini's just in case something goes wrong since this is your first mini. remember that (im sure you know this) horses, including minis, are herd animals, so its best you get this mini a buddy. they can become angry, depressed, lonely, and even sleep deprived without a buddy. so i would say get 2.

edit: oh yeah, check on your zoning laws. i have a really big yard but we're not allowed livestock where i live (everything from mini's, to horses, to ducks, to cows, nothing is allowed). so check and see if you can. it would be a bummer to do all that work then have someone show up at your door telling you that mini has to go!

Probably would be just fine, but do be aware that the shed will probably need to be tested to make sure it won't get to hot/cold, etc.

Minis should get bermuda or some other sort of hay grass - no alfalfa! Mini horses can't handle all the protein that alfalfa would give them. Also, because their intestine tract is so short, and they can colic more easily, once a day you should give them a bran mash - made up of red bran (which you can get at feed stores), 1/4 cup of molasses, and enough water to make it oatmeal looking. We will occasionally give them some alfalfa pellets in the mash, for a treat - but never enough to cause them damage.

Source(s): Three miniatures - Faith, Ralphy, and Randy...

Just make sure its legal to keep it in the backyard... but yeah you sound ready, you already have a horse.

along with everything already mentioned be SURE to only feed it Timothy grass Hay or something like that.. like the kind you feed a rabbit only in bulk. no alfalfa or oat they'll colic. it's sad because a lot of people don't know that and a lot of minis die. :(

You can't keep the mini alone - horses; regardless of size, need company. Even a miniature pony needs at least three quarters of an acre of grass, and you'll need more than this if you want him/her to have adequate grazing in the winter. To see two miniatures through the year, you'll need 3 acres at least. I highly doubt your garden is this big.

it sounds ok but make sure ur shed/stall ur talking about is strong 4 bad weather and stuff and make sure ur backyard is big enoff for him/her 2 run around and get exercise and not just enoff for grazing

Sounds good to me, just make sure it's legal! I always wanted to keep a pony in my backyard :(

it sounds like you know the basics and as long as you turn your back yard into an adequate living space you should go for it.

ya go 4 it! i will have 2 come and c it and ur friend might take it! lol

If it is legal for you to keep then in your backyard, why not?