rusty_mkm asked in SportsVolleyball · 1 decade ago

Dislocated knee and volleyball?

ok so almost a year ago i dislocated my knee playing volleyball. i went to the hospital and they just popped it back in. it took me awhile but i managed to finish the rest of basketball season. im 14 and it hasn't dislocated again but sometimes it feels like it will just pop out. i normally wear a brace when running or mostly playing a sport but i kinda stopped wearing one. should i still wear the brace? at times i get really scared that it will dislocate again but do you think i should still play volleyball this year? i will be on varsity. help please?

Best Answer

I have the same exact problem, except mine actually does pop out when I don't where a brace, it doesn't just feel like it will. I'm still playing volleyball this year too.

Best advice I can give you is to keep wearing the brace, especially if during volleyball when you have to be agile and make quick, jerky movements. That kind of stuff can really mess your knees up.

As to if you should play volleyball this year, that is completely up to you. If you feel comfortable playing then do it, if you are scared that you will seriously damage it, then don't. You won't want to have to get a knee replacement at age 30.

If you do decide to play, make sure you really strengthen your legs. That will help your knees from dislocating again. Really work on the muscle that is on the inside side of your knee.

Source(s): High School Volleyball Player

I would use a brace. I have a bad knee and when I run on it a lot it really starts to hurt. I had to wear one during all of the volleyball, basketball, and track seasons. Its better to be safe than sorry. On top of the brace you should also try to stretch it before a game. I had to do that before I got my brace and it worked surprisingly. I cant remember what stretches I did but Im sure you can find some by yahoo/google it. Also, drink lots and lots of water. It helps with the joints and such which may help your knee (not sure though since you dislocated it), I know it does with mine. I use this kind (well, close to it. I couldnt find the exact one) and it supports my knee wonderfully. It works tons better than the thicker ones that have all of the velcro--> http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=3...

You could also try talking to your doctor to see what he/she recommends you do.

Yes keep wearing the brace. I tore a ligament in my ankle, and have to wear a brace the rest of my life while playing volleyball, so I know how you feel. The brace will definitely help keep your knee in place and help the pain. Also, find exercises to do to help your knee. You shouldn't let it stop you from playing, so you should play this year!

if your afraid of dislocating it again then definitely where the brace. also, make sure your stretching it better then you are stretching everything else. it will be fine. you should definitely keep playing. you won't pop it out again. it takes a lot to do that.

idk that's a hard call. i would ask my doctor if should and if he said yeah then i would play cuz i love the sport too much lol. i have horrible knees but i have never dislocated either of them. i know how much it sucks to have pain there but not as quite as you. but yeah i would wear a brace at all times while practicing or even in a game or tournament if i were you.

If you keep going through like physical therapy...I think they might be good enough for volleyball. But if it gets worse, definitely not.

WEAR THE DAMN BRACE!

(Get all your beauty and health needs at your local CVS)

Keep working out your legs. Build those muscles. Keep working them so the body and mind knows you need them. As you are gaining noticeable strength in your legs you will gain confidence and let loose your worries. Be positive..