Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsWeddings · 1 decade ago

who should get invites and who shouldn't?

i've been told that the people in our wedding don't get invites, but we are allowing them to bring dates. so should we send invites with both names or just the names of their guests? or do we just not send an invite at all and just tell them they can bring a guest and make sure we get the information we need from the rsvp's from them personally?and do our parents get invites or is it the same etiquette as for our bridesmaids and groomsmen?

Favorite Answer

Everyone who is invited to the wedding should get an invite, including the wedding party, parents, etc...

If you know that a specific guest will be brought, you should include that guest's name, but just send the invite to the person in your wedding party (i.e. John Smith & Jane Doe). If you don't know the guest's name just say "and guest" or "plus one." (i.e. John Smith Plus One). Both the name of the person in your wedding party and their guest should appear on the same invitation--no need for 2 separate invites.

• Jen

People like to have the invite as a memento of the day they shared with you. That means bridal party and family should get one. Common practice, common courtesy.

If you are inviting members of the bridal party to bring dates, it's very nice to learn the date's name beforehand and send a personal invitation. On the other hand, that puts the date in the position of being an invited guest and not a "guest of guest." Which is to say, if you invite them directly they'll feel obligated to send you a gift. This one is a judgement call to be decided case by case.

• PugMom

Whomever told you that is completely wrong. You send an invitation to every person that is invited to your wedding. Your bridal party attendants are still invited guests and should thus receive an invitation. The guests of the bridal party should be included on the attendants invitation, either by name (if it's known) or as "and guest". The parents also receive their own invitations.

I sent invites to everyone in my wedding party except my sisters because I wanted to make sure I had enough invites. When I sent the invites I just put the names of their dates on their invitation. If you're not going to send invites to the party just make sure you get a definite answer as to who is bring who. I wouldn't send invites to your parents unless they would like it from memorabilia. Hope this helps.

If the guest is not a long term relationship you address it to John Smith and Guest. If it is a long term or serious relationship it is addressed to John Smith and Jane Doe, I would send an invite to them if they are bringing a guest. If no guest, word of mouth is fine.

• Lelar

Send all invitees and invitation with a RSVP so that you can know if they plan on attending. You may want to place name cards at certain tables during the reception etc.

• Ella

If someone is in your wedding, you're supposed to invite their immediate families to come, too (but not necessarily a date). You are not required to send an invite to a date of a guest. Just tell your guest that they may bring a date and have that guest RSVP for him/herself and his/her date. Parents are invited unless you tell them not to come.

close friends and close relative (but if you really like far ones invite them 2) but anyways word is gonna spread out and their gonna crash