Do you need need to report previous auto insurance claims if you're switching auto insurance companies?

Let's say for example, you'd like to switch from Geico to..., All State.

Let's say you have a claim you made to Geico where you got careless and crashed into a wall at low speed (10 mph). No police report was filed nor necessary. Would it be OK to tell All State that you don't have any previous auto claims? If there were police records or tickets, they'd be able to look those up for sure, but would they be able to call Geico and confirm this themselves?

I ask because previous claims such as the example above can REALLY jack up the rates.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Nate W
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Both of the answers above mine are correct. Most insurance companies use a database called CLUE that lists any claims you had with other participating companies. They will find your claim and count it against you. Even if they don't find it right away, they could deny any claims if they found out later. I know it's tempting to try to cheat the system, but it's best just to be upfront with them.

Source(s): Insurance Agent
  • shjf47
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Nate W has the correct answer. Also, no matter what you put on the application the insurance will eventually find the correct information. If the policy is already written the company will send you an adjusted premium reflecting the accident (s) you didn't tell them about, or like Nate W said, the could cancel the policy.

Source(s): insurance brokre
  • 1 decade ago

No, it isn't okay to lie or omit information. The insurance company will pull a CLUE report and find out the truth. Honesty is the best policy.

• 1 decade ago

You will be asked when applying for insurance. Then, they will check your driving record. No way to get away with it.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

How many times have you heard?. "It always pays to be honest". It was true when you heard it, it was true yesterday, it is true today and will be true tomorrow. Tell the whole truth and nothing but the truth. You will be glad you did.,

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.