Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureMythology & Folklore · 1 decade ago

Witchcraft - How do I become a witch?

I want to become a witch and would like some advice on different paths to take etc. Any sites would be great thanx.

Favorite Answer

I agree with maiingan2, but i will try my best to be respectful of you an your question, as everyone deserves respect. So, this is my answer:

To become a witch, requires years of training. A real witch, never stops learning about the Craft. It is as a continuous process as breathing. You learn all you can, as much as you can, as often as you can.

I would suggest learning what it means to be a witch, a true witch, before you try to cast any spells. Learn, take it to heart, and once you believe you fully understand what it means, then you practice.

If you want to be a witch, i would suggest looking into Wicca. Though you can be a witch without religious ties, but since you asked for different paths i am providing one for you to look into. This is from my favorite site. No matter how many books i rea, or how much i learn or differnt paths i have researched in Paganism, i always find this site to be first and foremost in my heart. :

You've seen "The Craft" five times, you watch "Charmed" every week, you have a black cat that you have most recently renamed "Salem" or "Kittywitch" or something like that, and you dress all in black. You can cast any spell from your three spellbooks and a huge pentagram adorns your neck, your (very creepy looking) book of shadows, and numerous other items in your cache of school supplies. People look at you when you walk down the street, your friends think you are oh-so-cool and your craft name, Moonlight FairyWillow WolfWings, is posted at the top of your web forum in creepy red letters. You are a witch, right?

Wrong. Witchcraft is not a fashion statement. It is nothing like what you see in the movies. It is not a fad. Hollywood has created so many false ideas about witchcraft to draw people in. Teenagers are especially susceptible to these ideas. In an attempt to be rebellious, teens will don the look and the catch-phrases of the neo-goth community. They are drawn in by the glamour of Hollywood and the promise of great power.

Teenagers encompass a group in society called "midriffs." (Anyone who has studied sociology or journalism knows what I am talking about.) Midriffs are at a point in life when they feel the need to grow up and look to others around them to learn how to do it. They will copy what they see: fashions, hairstyles, makeup, slang words and behavior in an attempt to fit in with their age group. This rebellion can have negative effects because it makes young people blind. They will follow from one fad to the next. Style is fleeting. Often, young people will turn to witchcraft for its glamour and seduction. Nothing is more alluring to the inexperienced than absolute power.

The first thing that you should know about witchcraft is that it is, first and foremost, a religion. Magick is based entirely on religion and the belief in the unknown. I don't care who you are or what kind of powers you claim to have; unless you have faith in something, you cannot perform magick.

Secondly, magick is not a fashion statement. True witches are easy to discern from the witch-wannabes. Witches do not wear all black. Witches do not wear huge pentagrams or black lipstick. Witches know that the power of magick is in its secrets. When you lay it threadbare before others it loses all its power and all you have left is a costumed wannabe with nothing to show but the ten pounds of crystal and pewter jewelry around their neck. True witches have learned to cast off their desires to be accepted by the "in" crowd. Real witches are at one with themselves and their surroundings and do not seek to fit in with any clique or to dress in a certain style. True witches look just like everyone else. You will not ever be able to tell a true witch in a crowd of people unless they want you to know that they are there (and I can assure you this will not be very often.)

Witchcraft is not what you see on television. No such thing exists. Many movies, television programs, and books, even some pagan books, lure people in with fake ideas of witchcraft. You will not learn to levitate. Fire and lightning will not shoot from your fingertips. You will never be able to bring down the wrath of the gods or walk on water. These things are fiction - fairy tales. They do not happen. Witchcraft is not instantaneous. Magick takes time to happen and even longer to learn. magick is not something that you can learn in a week or a month or even a year. Witches never stop learning. There is too much to learn for anyone to ever be perfect or know everything. Most people come into the craft because it is a fad and quickly leave because it is too hard or it takes too long. Not anyone can be a witch. To practice and learn the craft, one must be patient, curious and honest with themselves.

If you are interested in being a true witch, there are numerous talents that you will learn. Witchcraft requires a love of nature. If the sight of nature and beauty inspire you or strike awe in you then the craft might be right for you. You will learn how to heal others, speak to plants, animals, trees and spirits, travel on the astral plane, learn to understand yourself and others and divine your dreams and the future. You will learn to better yourself and open your eyes and your mind to new possibilities. Witchcraft is very difficult but if you are one of the few who have the talent, strength and patience for it, it can unlock hidden talents you never knew you had and free your imagination.

Me talking : The only thing i would do to correct the above is to say that it depends on your caracater as to whether you wear black lipstick. I am Goth. i will always be goth. It is as much a part of me as life itself. It is my lifesyle and way of thinking and i love it and when i chose my path i shall still say true to my goth nature and wear the make up and lipstick, even incorperate it into my beliefs. It is not a religous choice however, but a personal one. Everyone is different and it is up to each individual to find whatworks best for them. Currently i am not Wicca, a witch, or Pagan yet, i am making the wise choice to learn all i can about all the branches and finding one that speaks to me, then, when i feel i am ready i will practice. Not before. To commit, i need to know. I want to learn what workd best for me before i dive in over my head and turning my back on the religions simply because of my own eagerness and stupidity.

Learn. Please learn. Do everything you can to know what you are before you become something. To go into blindly is ignorant. No one likes ignorance and it makes the people who take it seriously look bad. Be respectful. Be certious, be intellegent. Learn, learn, and learn some more. Never stop. If you do that you will find your path. I would also like to say that the strongest spells are the ones you create yourself, something you would know had you researched for any amount of time. Good luck on your spiritual quest. May you find your true path. Blessed Be.

"To thine own self be true"

Source(s): My own Gothic Thoughts on the subject http://www.witchcrafted.org/aboutw.htm#2

It's amazing how many people love what is evil and hate God. It just proves the bible is right and the words of the Lord Jesus Christ will always stand and can never be changed or destroyed. I'm glad i'm on the winning side and Satan doesn't have a chance. Satan's power is not even a drop in the bucket compared to the power of JESUS!! Unless those whom practice witchcraft or any other satanic worship repent of their wickedness, they will surely burn in hell for ever, along with Satan - Repent while you have the chance - Jesus loves you enough to save you if you repent: I'll preach to the world whether they like it or not - reject it or not - it will be told. Matthew 7:13-14 13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way , that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

First you asked for love spells and NOW your asking how to be a Witch??? This clearly indicates that your interests are purely for entertainment purposes only and not for the seriousness of the Craft. If you had asked advice on how to become a Witch FIRST...I might have considered helping, but you clearly don't understand what it is Witchcraft really entails.

I would suggest you refrain from practices until you can gain some respect.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AlJF5...

EDIT: Midieval Fantasy - I apologize for my being curt, but when someone mocks my practices, I take it personally. It appears that this person is only interested in Witchcraft to cast love spells and other spells of a superficial nature. They are the epitome of "fluffiness" in my humble, honest opinion. The link I provided show her other questions, and prove my point, each one created BEFORE this one.

Source(s): SERIOUS Practicing Witch of 8 years
  • K

How do you become anything? You just start. Maybe you can try a book store and pick up some books on the subject.

Witchvox (www.witchvox.com) is great, so is Children of Artemis (www.witchcraft.org). Take whichever path feels natural to you.

Source(s): Wiccan Witch >> not the same thing, although often mistakenly believed to be so.

In your dreams.