For those who believe you are saved and no "works" are required, why then does God give commandments?

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. James 2:17-18 17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone. 18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by... show more Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

James 2:17-18
17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

I absolutely believe in the grace of Christ. It is only in and through the atonement of Christ that we can be saved. However, do we not have to have faith (works), repent (works), believe (works), be baptized (works), and endure (works) to be saved and to benefit from the atonement of Christ?

Matt. 24: 13
13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

What are your thoughts?
Update: Skylar: You scored low in reading comprehension didn't you. I asked answers from "those who believe . . . "
Update 2: Martin: you didn't answer the question. Everyone is a sinner, and I agree that I cannot save myself. Even if I were the 2nd most righteous man since Christ without him I could not be saved. Yet he still asked me to keep His commandments. Why would he ask me to do that if it wasn't necessary to help me... show more Martin: you didn't answer the question. Everyone is a sinner, and I agree that I cannot save myself. Even if I were the 2nd most righteous man since Christ without him I could not be saved. Yet he still asked me to keep His commandments. Why would he ask me to do that if it wasn't necessary to help me to become like Him.
Update 3: Pagan chick: No one can convert you. Only you.
Update 4: New order: works refers to serving God. OK, I'm fine with that but they are still "works".
Update 5: Bad panda: Good point. But they didn't keep his commandments. That's what he was trying to tell them. Maybe that's what all the fuss about the "no works" comes from. They hypocritically kept many of the physical laws but their hearts were not changed. The purpose of the laws was not to... show more Bad panda: Good point. But they didn't keep his commandments. That's what he was trying to tell them. Maybe that's what all the fuss about the "no works" comes from. They hypocritically kept many of the physical laws but their hearts were not changed. The purpose of the laws was not to see who could obey them. They were give to help us to become like Him. Do you see the difference?
Update 6: Minjask: I would ask you a question then; because I agree with what you said. Would you have a problem with saying that being "saved" will go hand in hand with works. One who is saved, will always accompany goods works? Change the wording. You aren't saved by your works. However, those that who... show more Minjask: I would ask you a question then; because I agree with what you said. Would you have a problem with saying that being "saved" will go hand in hand with works. One who is saved, will always accompany goods works? Change the wording. You aren't saved by your works. However, those that who are will do good works.
Update 7: God_love: I think we are agreeing that faith is works. Right? Faith in action: reading the scriptures, praying, serving, loving others, those are actions of faith. Faith is works. Why are some people so afraid of the word "works". Good works are good.
Update 8: Evangeli: you are not following your own counsel if you do not believe in good works. I believe that only through the grace of Christ can I be saved. But also believe that my adherence to his laws (works) are necessary. This is where my agency comes in to play. Agency requires works. Works cannot save, no... show more Evangeli: you are not following your own counsel if you do not believe in good works. I believe that only through the grace of Christ can I be saved. But also believe that my adherence to his laws (works) are necessary. This is where my agency comes in to play. Agency requires works. Works cannot save, no matter how much I work. However, Christ cannot save a person that refuses to be saved. (No works)

How many scriptures do you think we can quote that God commands us to obey. (Works) Both are necessary. Both are true.
Update 9: krazyabo: My child . . . I think we are saying the same thing. Whether you say that works are necessary or works are the result. There are still works. If I am a believer, how could I have got there without an expression of faith. (That is a work and I'm sorry but it came before the belief. Faith, which is... show more krazyabo: My child . . . I think we are saying the same thing. Whether you say that works are necessary or works are the result. There are still works. If I am a believer, how could I have got there without an expression of faith. (That is a work and I'm sorry but it came before the belief. Faith, which is a work, comes first.
Update 10: Karlo: you are crazy. Quoting the the word of God means that I am not spiritual. The scripture are the standard that all spiritual things must be measured by. If you are receiving "spiritual" revelation that conflicts with the "standard" or the scriptures then I think you may be receiving... show more Karlo: you are crazy. Quoting the the word of God means that I am not spiritual. The scripture are the standard that all spiritual things must be measured by. If you are receiving "spiritual" revelation that conflicts with the "standard" or the scriptures then I think you may be receiving revelation from the wrong source.
Update 11: Rolling Stone: You misunderstood the question. I believe we are saved by grace and not by works. My point is that keeping the commandments are works. They are necessary to become like God. If you aren't obeying God, then you are rebelling against God? Are you going to be saved. Both are necessary.
Update 12: Jesus Loves AC: I completely agree with your first statement. Baptism is the covenant you make to follow Christ. There is spiritual action, faith, works, taking place in the act of being baptized. You are taking upon you the name of Christ. You are making a promise to follow him and keep his commandments. That... show more Jesus Loves AC: I completely agree with your first statement. Baptism is the covenant you make to follow Christ. There is spiritual action, faith, works, taking place in the act of being baptized. You are taking upon you the name of Christ. You are making a promise to follow him and keep his commandments. That is what should be occurring when you take the symbolic act representing the death, burial, and resurrection. A new you. (Romans 6:3-5)
Update 13: 2 Cor. 9: 8 8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: Eph. 2: 10 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them Philip. 1:... show more 2 Cor. 9: 8
8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

Eph. 2: 10
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them

Philip. 1: 6
6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Col. 1: 10
10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

2 Thes. 2: 17
17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work

Bree, I do not disagree with any scripture you quoted. All are true. However, do you see the association with good works and those that follow Christ. Also those that do "bad works" are those that do not follow Christ. I agree, works can't save you. Why then does God command it? What do you expect to be judged?
Update 14: Susan: I agree with you completely. I believe that those that believe will do good works. And those that want to believe can start to do good works until they catch the vision and believe. However, no amount of works can save you. The work means nothing without Christ.
Update 15: Hogie: I think you may be trying to redefine "works". What is the difference between works of the law and works of love. Don't we show our love for God by keeping his commandments. (law). John 14:15 If ye love me keep my commandments. I love God and keep commandments because I know that if I... show more Hogie: I think you may be trying to redefine "works". What is the difference between works of the law and works of love. Don't we show our love for God by keeping his commandments. (law).

John 14:15 If ye love me keep my commandments.

I love God and keep commandments because I know that if I didn't he can't help me. They are still works. You can define how you like, works of love, however they are works. Works are necessary in combination with Christ. It doesn't conflict with scriptures that say you aren't saved by your works because everything rests on the atonement of Christ.