Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

For those who believe you are saved and no "works" are required, why then does God give commandments?

Mark 16:16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

James 2:17-18

17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.

18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

I absolutely believe in the grace of Christ. It is only in and through the atonement of Christ that we can be saved. However, do we not have to have faith (works), repent (works), believe (works), be baptized (works), and endure (works) to be saved and to benefit from the atonement of Christ?

Matt. 24: 13

13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

What are your thoughts?

Skylar: You scored low in reading comprehension didn't you. I asked answers from "those who believe . . . "

Martin: you didn't answer the question. Everyone is a sinner, and I agree that I cannot save myself. Even if I were the 2nd most righteous man since Christ without him I could not be saved. Yet he still asked me to keep His commandments. Why would he ask me to do that if it wasn't necessary to help me to become like Him.

Pagan chick: No one can convert you. Only you.

New order: works refers to serving God. OK, I'm fine with that but they are still "works".

Bad panda: Good point. But they didn't keep his commandments. That's what he was trying to tell them. Maybe that's what all the fuss about the "no works" comes from. They hypocritically kept many of the physical laws but their hearts were not changed. The purpose of the laws was not to see who could obey them. They were give to help us to become like Him. Do you see the difference?

Minjask: I would ask you a question then; because I agree with what you said. Would you have a problem with saying that being "saved" will go hand in hand with works. One who is saved, will always accompany goods works? Change the wording. You aren't saved by your works. However, those that who are will do good works.

God_love: I think we are agreeing that faith is works. Right? Faith in action: reading the scriptures, praying, serving, loving others, those are actions of faith. Faith is works. Why are some people so afraid of the word "works". Good works are good.

Evangeli: you are not following your own counsel if you do not believe in good works. I believe that only through the grace of Christ can I be saved. But also believe that my adherence to his laws (works) are necessary. This is where my agency comes in to play. Agency requires works. Works cannot save, no matter how much I work. However, Christ cannot save a person that refuses to be saved. (No works)

How many scriptures do you think we can quote that God commands us to obey. (Works) Both are necessary. Both are true.

krazyabo: My child . . . I think we are saying the same thing. Whether you say that works are necessary or works are the result. There are still works. If I am a believer, how could I have got there without an expression of faith. (That is a work and I'm sorry but it came before the belief. Faith, which is a work, comes first.

Karlo: you are crazy. Quoting the the word of God means that I am not spiritual. The scripture are the standard that all spiritual things must be measured by. If you are receiving "spiritual" revelation that conflicts with the "standard" or the scriptures then I think you may be receiving revelation from the wrong source.

Rolling Stone: You misunderstood the question. I believe we are saved by grace and not by works. My point is that keeping the commandments are works. They are necessary to become like God. If you aren't obeying God, then you are rebelling against God? Are you going to be saved. Both are necessary.

Jesus Loves AC: I completely agree with your first statement. Baptism is the covenant you make to follow Christ. There is spiritual action, faith, works, taking place in the act of being baptized. You are taking upon you the name of Christ. You are making a promise to follow him and keep his commandments. That is what should be occurring when you take the symbolic act representing the death, burial, and resurrection. A new you. (Romans 6:3-5)

2 Cor. 9: 8

8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

Eph. 2: 10

10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them

Philip. 1: 6

6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Col. 1: 10

10 That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God;

2 Thes. 2: 17

17 Comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work

Bree, I do not disagree with any scripture you quoted. All are true. However, do you see the association with good works and those that follow Christ. Also those that do "bad works" are those that do not follow Christ. I agree, works can't save you. Why then does God command it? What do you expect to be judged?

Susan: I agree with you completely. I believe that those that believe will do good works. And those that want to believe can start to do good works until they catch the vision and believe. However, no amount of works can save you. The work means nothing without Christ.

Hogie: I think you may be trying to redefine "works". What is the difference between works of the law and works of love. Don't we show our love for God by keeping his commandments. (law).

John 14:15 If ye love me keep my commandments.

I love God and keep commandments because I know that if I didn't he can't help me. They are still works. You can define how you like, works of love, however they are works. Works are necessary in combination with Christ. It doesn't conflict with scriptures that say you aren't saved by your works because everything rests on the atonement of Christ.

• Kerry
    Favorite Answer

Christ repeatedly told us to "keep his commandments" which by definition is a "works." Also, Christ repeatedly told us to "endure to the end." Since again by definition enduring requires a time frame before evaluatuion, one cannot claim in the here and now that "I am saved." It requires enduring to the end before such a judgement can be made.

However, to receive salvation and eternal life, that comes by the grace of Christ through his atoning sacrafice. It is a gift to ALL mankind.

The works part and endurance part determines our PLACE in heaven. To live with God and Jesus Christ, and not in some lesser part of heaven, one needs to live the commandments and demonstrate one's belief.

Christ taught that in heaven "there are many mansions" or levels. See John 14:2

"In my Father’s house are many mansions"

Paul taught that as well, when he saw a "third" heaven. See 2 Corinthians 12:2

"I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth;) such an one caught up to the third heaven."

By our works, we are judged by Christ to enter one of the levels of heaven. That is why we are expected to OBEY his commandments and demonstrate our faith. Otherwise, there would be no justice. Why would one live an entire life, enduring to the end by faith and obedience, if there was not a need for works? Verses someone who was evil for all of their life, then on their deathbed said, "I beleive."

Source(s): Lifelong Mormon

I think the point is simply that there needs to be a realization that we do not earn our way to Heaven, and that our righeousness is not based on works. But I think you already realize that and are questioning the faith-only people. I just talked to such a person on the job and he was very disturbed at my words. He had never read the Bible and it bothered him that there could be a chance he wasnt saved. (he believed he was always saved) Consequently from his own description, he lives life anyway he sees fit. He divorced his wife for no good reason and can tell has a very hard heart towards Gods law.

My only point of disagreement would be that faith and baptism are works. Faith is the inward conidtion that produces good works and the fruits of the spirit. Baptism isnt something you do, it is something done to you. There is also the spiritual and important aspect of baptism which sure as heck isnt a work of man. Remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit are not works of man.

There is a right and wrong way of doing things. The commandments are the right way.

Good works aren't faith and good works don't equal faith. Good works may SHOW, display, or be a byproduct of faith.

Galatians 2:15-17 in essence says we are saved by grace & not by works alone.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved.......... .

Everybody can do good works and that's a good thing but how many good works would be enough to save a person?

Endure till the end--read about Job and/or the disciples.

Yes and no. If you love God, you will inherit eternal life. The relationship between the beliver and God in Christiany is a love relationship. (Which is what makes Christianity different from all other religions, where men are the toys of the gods.) However, the nature of love is such that you WANT to please, give to, and even sacrifice for the one you love. For example, if your wife says "Honey, will you please put the toliet seat down after you pee" or if your husband says "Dear, can you please put the car seat back when you come home" probably you will do it, or try. If you should forget one time, the relationship isn't broken. You still love her/him. He/she still loves you. But if you spouse's requests are reasonable, you will feel bad because you caused him/her inconvience and maybe irritation, while what you want is to make him/her happy. So if you really love God, you will obey Him. God's commands are not unreasonable. Every thing he commands is for our good. For example, he commands that sex should be saved for marriage. Many people think that is asking a lot, but think, if all sex happened within a marriage there would not be: hearts broken by cheating, sexually transmitted disease epidemics (where would they go? the man who ate the monkey brains would die of AIDs, his wife would die, everyone else would be fine), unwed teenage mothers, kids leaving school to support an accident. There would be many less unwanted babies. People would make their marriages work instead of finding a mistress, etc. So less children would be traumatized by divorce. People who are saved are people who love God. People who love God obey him. So arguably people who are saved obey God.

I don't believe we are saved because of our works, but we will be JUDGED upon our works. I believe as you do though, we are "saved" after all we can do (works).

I have a hard time believing that a person who claims Christ is their Savior, then sits on their butt their whole life and does nothing to help anyone or makes no attempt to live a good life, will inherit any eternal glory, let alone really loves the Savior. I think a huge part of loving Christ is actually SHOWING that you do. Not just words. Not just prayers.

Why would Christ go around and do "good works" and He is our example, if we were not to follow Him??

Source(s): Eternally LDS
  • Ephesians 2:8-9

Because of His kindness, you have been saved through trusting Christ. And even trusting is not of yourselves; it too is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good we have done, so none of us can take any credit for it.

That clearly says salvation is not a reward for the works we done. We cannot take credit for earning salvation. Simple as that. 1 Corinthians 3:11-15 says that if you genuinely ask Christ to be you Savior (Rock), no matter what you are saved. (Keyword:genuinely) Now God gave us commandments as a basic law to follow. He knows we are far from righteous and will disobey Him at times but your works will not get you into heaven. In fact everyone works are filthy rags to Him.

Isaiah 64:6

All of us have become like one who is unclean, and all our righteous acts are like filthy rags; we all shrivel up like a leaf, and like the wind our sins sweep us away.

Works is something you do to achieve a reward, you cannot work your way to God, He clearly says this.

Isaiah 57:12

I will expose your righteousness and your works, and they will not benefit you.

James tells us that when you have faith in God it will be seen in your works, you do not require works to be saved. If this was true then the thief on the cross, next to Jesus, would not have gone to heaven. That would mean that God is a liar, He isn't. Therefore, you are saved with or without works.

Romans 10:9

If you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Source(s): God's Word.... The Holy Bible
  • Paul

In relations to mark, Baptism follows true salvation. It does not do the saving, but is a "fruit" of true salvation.

This is also the case in James. True salvation is followed by works. The works do not save, but are evidence of the salvation.

Matthew is speaking of the last days when God is dealing with the Jewish nation again. This is referring to the "remnant" of the Jews that God will protect through the great tribulation time.

Remember, you must take the "whole" counsel of the Bible when forming a doctrine. If these verses are talking about works doing the saving, then the following verses would be lying....

Eph 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Eph 2:9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Not to mention Abraham's faith in God had nothing to do with works..

Gal 3:6 Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.

Or the Thief on the cross. He had absolutely no works to claim, but was told of Jesus that He would be in heaven with Him that day.

There are many, many other verses, and examples I could toss in here. The fact of the matter is, we are saved by faith in Jesus Christ alone..nothing added or nothing taken away.

However, true saving faith WILL produce godly works, and these works are evidence of true repentance and salvation.

Source(s): ep

I believe that God gives commandments as guidelines. God has a certain way He wants us to live our lives, and the best way to do that is to follow His commandments. Had He not given us commandments, we would not have any idea how to live our lives for Him. God has given us all a certain amount of time on this earth. Whether it be a short amount of time, or a long amount; He wants us to please Him by serving Him in every way we can. Might that be mission work, worship, or preaching; God will be pleased. God has also given us free will, which means we have a choice to follow Him and His commandments, or not to. But I know that those who follow Him, live by his commandments, and work to please Him will be rewarded for their good deeds. But the work should not be done for that reason; we have a far more powerful reason to serve Him- He gave His Son to die on the cross. This is the most selfless, loving thing anyone could ever do. Living for Him is the least we could do to show how grateful we are and how much we love the Glorious One.

We never know how much time we have; I'm not going to waste mine. I want to live for God so that one day, He will say to me "Well done, good and faithful servant."

God Bless.

• Joseph

God gives us commandments so that we can avoid things which would destroy our faith in Him. And so that, by keeping His commandments, we can have our faith in Him increased.

God certainly not just blowing hot air when he gave the ten commandments. They were given for a reason and because God is the same yesterday, today, and forever, He gives us commandments today to follow.

Now I am not trying to say that you are saved by works. You are not and could not be saved by works. It is only by the grace of God that you are saved. You are blessed by God to be able to obey Him when you show faith and strive to obey Him. You are blessed because you have obeyed Him. The is nothing that we could do to ever be able to "earn" our salvation. That is given to us by Christ when we do the few simple things that He asks of us.

Faith and works go hand in hand. Faith without works is dead because you are not keeping yourself on top of the game. You don't do works, you fall away from God because you're not keeping yourself active in His Word. He commands you to go out and make disciples. It's the last thing Christ said on earth. If you don't do that, then you're pretty much done for.