Can't Be Tamed asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

Taking our dog with us over the road, in an 18 wheeler? details inside?

My boyfriend just got a new truck and is fixing to start driving for his dad, who owns a small trucking company. It's a truck with a sleeper, so it's got room.

We are living with my parents right now while our home is being remodeled and we have a dog that's grown really attached to the two of us. She is a chihuahua.

I was wondering if anyone knows any ways to make her comfortable with going? She loves riding in the car, and has ridden in an 18 wheeler, but not for a long ride. I'm sure since she'll have her bed (kind of like her security blanket) she'll be ok. She'll also be able to walk several times a day, and will still have the same brand of food available (wellness). She'll have her toys, her blankets, her bed, her walks, everything she used to have, except now she'll have more time with us! :D We've talked with our vet about taking her, he says she should be fine seeing how she's a small dog, and doesn't require MUCH exercise.

Just to point out, if anyone has objections with her going, save it. She has to go. She's attached to us, has been with us for 2 years, and has to be on anxiety medicine when we're away for long periods of time or she'll lick and chew her paws raw.

Favorite Answer

Dogs love being in "packs" so much more than being left alone all day long in a house. You and your boyfriend are her pack. As long as she is able to get her energy out, she should be fine. The only thing I can suggest, is to get a watering bottle kinda like the ones used in hamster cages (but bigger), and teach her to use it instead of trying to keep water in a bowl while moving.

Road Wheeler Dog

I am sure she will be fine! We have 2 labs/ great pyrneese mix dogs that go every where we do, including the drive from missouri to texas! Some things you may want to look into! They have portable food and water bowls they are less messy and less room! Maybe some puppy training pads just incase she gets a little motion sick and they can be thrown away if there is an accident, rather it be potty or vomit! and like you said she will have her bed and normal food and toys!!! Just a suggestion until she gets use to it you may want to make more frequent stops lol ;) do yall have a while before you go for a long distance? If so maybe take her several places that is not such a long haul!!! Also you may want to look for treats that are easier on the digestive system and such so you can help eliminate as many factors as you can for her getting motion sickness! Petco has alot of treats and food that are easy oin their tummys :) But I do not see yall having a problem. Good luck!! And I am sure yall will have a great time travling together!

My husband is a truck driver. One of the reasons we got our Puggle is so that my husband can take him on the road with him/us occasionally. We took him on his first trip, 6 days, a couple weeks ago. He did great!

Just like you, we brought his food, bed, blankie, toys, and everything else that would make him feel at home. He slept more than usual...really like laying on the bed and I think the truck "rocked" him to sleep. We played with him in the truck and stopped for him to potty and get some exercise. He loved sitting on my husbands lap while he was driving or sleeping on his lap or mine. It was a much better experience than we expected for the first trip.

Be sure she has all her shots and if you are going to any area that mosquitoes are a problem you might want to make sure the vet gets her started on heartworm pills.

I think you all are going to have a good time. Nothing to worry about. Maybe we'll see you out there and our puppies can say HI as we drive by :)

I used to take my Crested over the road when I was married to a trucker. It sounds like you have everything covered.. she will be able to spend more time with you, and you've already thought of all her creature comforts. How many dogs get to be with their owners ALL day? She's so lucky! Do make sure she is current on vaccinations, wormed, and on heartworm as well as flea preventative. Do keep in mind you will be travelling thru the US all year round, where climates vary.. so it would be advisable to keep your dog on those preventatives year round. Id reccommend keeping a copy of her vet records on the truck.. should you need to get her vet care while over the road, you have that information. It also would not be a bad idea to have her microchipped incase she should get lost (knock on wood) ADDED As for potty trips.. we found that we were typically stopping every few hours either to eat, shower, fuel, load/unload, go to the bathroom ourselves, or just to stretch our legs.. we'd just take the oppourtunity to walk the dog while we were stopped anyways. Its not hard to accomodate to having a small dog on the truck.

I think it's a great idea. I've seen several dogs in 18 wheelers. I've seem people bring their dogs every day, when they drive carriage rides, and the dogs just sit there all day, and they seem to love it! :) I hope/know she will love it!

Good luck on the road, and in the new house :)

she'd probably be fine with it, my dogs doesnt mind the car at all for long trips as long as he gets out to stretch his legs and play a couple of times a day. your dogs really small it shouldnt be a problem. what might be though is if your staying at a motel or sleeping out of the truck, if you can bring the dog in with you or not.

if u keep her wit u in the car, just make sure she gets out 2 go 2 the bathroom enuf, she shud b ok

I think you've got it pretty well covered.. she has been on rides and does fine.. she will be fine for a long haul.. after all, she has you, and all her creature comforts.. what more will she need?

Source(s): I have taken my Crested on long runs when I was married to a trucker and he did just fine.

it will be just fine

i drive rigs

i have a chihuaha

he loves it