MM in Choral Conducting?

I am looking for a good grad school. I currently am a conducting fellow at my university and would like a few suggestions. My current top choice is Florida State University or UNT but would like to see what yall think.

Favorite Answer

The conductor that took over my husband's position when HE retired, got his MM in Choral conducting form Hartt School, U. of Hartford, CT. My husband and I have our undergrad degrees from there. You could also check out Anton Armstrong's program at St. Olaf, or James Jordan at Westminster ( where my nephew is now singing.) There are many fine programs - and they often either attract or are built my the leading conductors in our field - attach yourself to them! Also - I just heard from A. Harler that Rollo Dillworth has been hired at Temple University in Philly - my son and DIL went there. There are four of us in this family who are/were career choral conductors - I hope that this info has helped you somewhat. Good luck with finding the right place for YOU! Do you go to ACDA conventions, or keep current thru them or MENC, state organizations, etc.? You have to *grip and grin* - get out there and meet people in person, schmooze, do the cocktail receptions hosted by universities at those things - people part with a lot of info when they have had a drink. Good luck with your further education.

Source(s): Choral conductor from 1971 to 2008 - husband has similar run of years (NY state). Son and DIL , 2003 to present (PA). Read profile.