does laser hair removal hurt?

as a present for my 18th birthday i got a laser treatment for my under arms. i dont really know anything about laser hair removal.

does it hurt? what does it feel like? how long will it hurt for after (minutes, hours, days)?

thank you

Favorite Answer

It doesn't hurt as much as waxing. The first time, it's like a poke with a pencil, and the lasers are pretty small. So, it's going to feel like 8-12 pencil pokes on each armpit. It hurts even less if you shave before getting lasered.

Also, many lasers come with a cryogenic spray that is intended to cool the area right after it gets zapped. It really works wonders, and you don't feel pain afterwards (except maybe a little redness or soreness for a couple hours). As you get more treatments, it hurts less and less, and the redness lasts a shorter time.

Make sure the laser that is being used on you has that cryogenic spray if you have a lower pain threshhold.

Also, it's better not to expose the lasered area to direct sunlight without using sunscreen, especially on your face. Laser treatments make the zapped area sun-sensitive, like with acne cream.

Source(s): Experience.

Does Laser Hair Removal Hurt

Is Laser Hair Removal Painful

1

Source(s): Herbal Hair Loss Remedies : http://HairLoss.siopu.com/?MyS

Laser hair removal does hurt. However, that "hurt" tells you that the treatment is effective. The pain comes from the hair follicle taking in the heat of the laser and damaging it. If it doesn't hurt, it means that the hair isn't taking in the heat and is not being damaged. This means the hair will grow back, no problem.

Some people experience more discomfort than others, but most find the pain manageable. It mostly hurts during the treatment, but sometimes the skin around the hair can be burned, one of the side effects. However, after a few days it should pass.

2

Source(s): Psoriasis Remedy http://enle.info/HealPsoriasisNaturally

I have to disagree with $. I've had laser treatments on my underarms, bikini area, thighs, and calves. It hurts while you're getting it done, but that feeling goes away really soon. Yes, you may get some bumps, that's just where your hair follicle has swollen. Those bumps should go away in less than 24 hours. The area will also feel warm (almost in a pleasant kind of way) right after treatment incurs. Most machines will blast cold air on the area right before the laser is emitted, but it still hurts. As for the measure of pain, I would compare each beam to being snapped with a rubber band.

Source(s): Personal experience

First Session Hurts the Most

Because the laser energy is absorbed in the hair follicle producing heat, there is some sensation when performing laser hair removal. Certain areas of the body hurt more than others during laser hair removal. In addition, patients with very thick, dark hair may experience more discomfort than those with thin hair. This is because the thicker, darker hair will absorb more of the laser light during any given treatment. Generally, the hair becomes thinner and less dense after each subsequent treatment. Therefore, the most discomfort is usually experienced during the first treatment.

Pain Varies Between Individuals

The discomfort associated with laser hair removal varies considerably between individuals, and is a function of the patient’s skin type, the laser being used, the thickness and density of the hair, the area of the body where the hair is being treated, and one's ability to tolerate or feel pain. In some situations, numbing creams can be used. However, numbing creams partially eliminate the ability of the patient to report on the discomfort associated with a treatment, which may be an indication of how this treatment compares with previous treatments.

Discomfort Rarely Limits Treatment

Discomfort is one of the many factors the person administering the laser treatment will use to determine the appropriate setting for the laser. Patients should be discouraged from applying numbing cream themselves to large areas of the body prior to laser treatment. Although prescription numbing creams are generally safe, putting them on large areas of the body can result in the numbing medications being absorbed into the bloodstream in significant amounts. In my office, I prefer to have my staff apply numbing creams while the patient is in my office when they are needed, so that I can control the amount of cream applied and the surface area over which it is applied. In general, discomfort rarely limits the ability to perform laser treatment. However, in a small number of patients it does limit ones ability to receive laser hair removal treatments.

I've been having laser treatments on my underarms for a while now.

Yes it does hurt really bad while their getting done. But its pretty quick and my pain usually goes away within the hour.

Painful, but totally worth it!

Source(s): Personal experiance

I had it done.. think of being popped by a rubber band. They use a small laser and do about 30 "pops" under each arm. Each arm pit takes about 30 seconds-1 min... The good thing about it, is there is no sting after.. Its just a pop and then no sensation after. So after you get it done you are in no pain. Its really unconformable while your getting it done.. but it only last max 2 min... They also put a cooling gel on, and can give you numbing cream.. but its really no big deal, and you never have to shave your arm pits again...soooo nice.

• dreamy5 years agoReport

i am young .. im going to 14 ...and my underarm is so sensitive ...and when i do wax it burns and hurts me and my mom told me to make laser ...is it a good idea or no... im scared to be honest....