me m asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 1 decade ago

Trying to find a movie--it was made in the 50s(maybe 60s) one of the typical "B" sci-fi movies?

this was about a group of astronauts who get captured by a race of ppl(can't remember what they looked like) who as punishment would put them under an intense beam that would literally burn them alive

near the end the mastermind is a giant speaking eye--one of the astronauts fires something into it causing it damage--because of this it & the ship starts to fall apart & the astronauts are able to get away

thanks for any help with the title/actors/actresses

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I caught the end of this film the other night, a film with a giant eye that spoke to the men:

The Atomic Submarine (1959)

starring Arthur Franz, Dick Foran, Brett Halsey, Bob Steele, Joi Lansing, Tom Conway

IMDb synopsis:

In the far and distant future of 1968, many ships and planes are crossing the North pole to transport passengers and cargo. However lately more than eight ships and seven submarines have vanished mysteriously. The Tigershark is sent out to investigate their whereabouts and - if possible - remove the cause of their disappearance. But the life form Commander Vandover and his crew encounter may be too powerful even for their weapons of newest technology.

IMDb review:

The climax of the film is a glorious return to B-movie hokum as an underwater flying saucer is discovered to be the cause of the problems. The scientists reason that the saucer returns to the pole for magnetic energy and they decide to lie in wait in the sub to ram it! In doing this, the sub becomes stuck in the saucer, and some crew members are dispatched to go inside the saucer and dislodge it. The inside of the spaceship is a lesson in minimalism - simply illuminated gangways in a sea of darkness. These scenes lead to the creature in the saucer, which is an octopus-type figure, with one huge eye on a stalk. The creature speaks telepathically and turns out to be looking for suitable planets as homes for its advanced race of bug-eyed-hairy-octopi. Saucer is blasted by a ballistic missile.

Here's the movie trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8itaH0dxlI

Youtube thumbnail

Just in case, here's Part 1 on YouTube and Part 9, which shows them meeting the creature aboard its spacecraft:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSqw0lwUfOw

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=PlayList&p=24B6E31ADA690422&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=31

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLKh-tRI8Kc

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=PlayList&p=24B6E31ADA690422&index=39

Of course, I coudl be far offbase with this, but I thought I'd give it a try.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

No, for the corniest and fashioned sci fi and horror, you could need to hire movies through the best Trauma Videos from again within the eighties. No one beats Surf Nazis Must Die, or the Amazon Women of the Avocado Jungle or their different instantly to video masterpieces.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.