Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Yahoo ProductsYahoo Answers · 1 decade ago

Why can't people answer questions themselves?

I was just wondering, I understand that this website it meant to help people, but why do some people need to copy and paste from Wikipedia? I can understand in some circumstances, but that's all some people do. What's the whole point? If they wanted Wikipedia, they would of typed in their question on Google, and clicked on the first link.

Update:

I just think some people just like to feel smart, because they outdid everyone else with a ridiculously long answer that's 3 paragraphs longer than it needs to be, that they didn't even type up.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

People do that because they are basically lazy and is here only for points (which really is of no real use except for bragging rights).

They just don't know what it means to "answer" a question. They think that copy and past will answer a question - which sometimes, it doesn't. Too much information can be just as bad.

But don't get upset over it or take it personally. Don't lose sleep over it.

Yahoo!Answers is for a bit of fun. Life's too short to take Y!A too seriously.

Cheers

• 1 decade ago

A lot of questions on Yahoo!Answers can be answered by a simple Google search.

Here's more info about questions from Wikipedia-

The simplest questions implicitly or explicitly request information from a range (finite or infinite) of alternatives. When information purporting to be that requested is presented back to the questioner, the question is said to be answered. The information thus presented is called an answer. Answers may be correct or incorrect. They are incorrect if they present false information. If they present information from outside the proffered alternatives, they may be called wrong or simply inappropriate or irrelevant. This depends on the context, as do several other possibilities: Sometimes "I don't know" is an acceptable answer, sometimes even a correct answer. The same is true of "None of the above" and "There is no answer." An answer is the, or a, correct answer, if it presents true information which falls within the determined range of alternatives. Questions of this simplest sort usually begin with Who, what, which, where, when, does/do, is/are.

Other questions do not so easily fit this mold. For example, questions beginning "Why" and "How" often request any information at all that will alleviate certain confusion in a person who wants to ask that question. Here the manner in which the information is presented might be more important than which information is presented; the questioner may even already know all of the information contained in the right answer, and merely needs it to be expressed in a more useful form.

Source(s): Wikipedia
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.