Will all my songs in my iPod be erased if they're not in the file?

I have about 100something songs in my iPod, but my computer got a virus and I had to reinstall the entire system, and all my files were lost. I had a lot of songs in the My Music folder, but usually when you plug your iPod in the computer and iTunes can't find the song, they ask you to relink? Well I won't be able to relink those songs if I plug it in, because they're not in the file. I also want to put in some new songs that I downloaded. Do I have to download all my songs all over again before I can connect my iPod to the computer again?

Thats what I had to do. I had to get my computer fixed and when I plugged my Ipod in it erased all the songs from my Ipod because they couldnt be found. I think that is a major flaw.

Yes, Since it is not from the same itunes file it will not find the songs in your playlist. You will have to either contact the itunes company about it or just lose all your songs. It will ask you to replace your playlist.