Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Education & ReferenceFinancial Aid · 1 decade ago

What are my chances at a scholarship?

I really don' t know what to do about college (I'm about to be a senior in high school.)

I would love to go to a university. But I won't be able to afford it without a scholarship. So if I can't get one, I'm going to community college.

I'm 17.

I'm white, middle-class.

I live in Michigan.

I work 25-30 hours a week in fast food.

I never did any e.c activities in high school (I do well and have friends, but hate high school and always wanted to leave right away, never stay for after school activities. Besides that, I wouldn't have a ride home from activities and I worked after school.)

I have a 3.7 GPA. I almost always take AP and honor classes. I took the test for AP gov and AP Lit and Comp and received credits for both.

I think I would be able to get some decent college recommendation letters from teachers. I am also good with essays so admission essays and such would probably be no problem for me.

I am trying to see if I can become a volunteer at a hospital or something this year.

Okay, this part might be a little confusing if dual enrollment is not offered in your state. But my school offers dual enrollment. That means, I go to high school 2 hours/classes a day (for my upcoming senior year) and then leave. Instead of the other 4 classes, I take 4 college courses and get credit for both. So I will earn 13 college credits next semester as well as normal high school credits.

I have always done great in every class. My GPA slipped to a 3.7 because my math classes (accelerated) have been extremely hard the last couple of years (especially difficult and hard to understand teacher) so I have been getting C- 's and D's. (I know that is pretty bad.)

So overall, all things considered, what are my chances for a scholarship?

Any scholarships I should consider or look into?

How much money do you think my scholarships would be for, if any?

Thank you so much for reading. I know this was long. I appreciate it and will choose best answer. Thank you.

Oh and if it matters: neither parent graduated college, my grandparents didn't graduate. I don't think any extended family did. 2 of my brothers did not go to college and my one brother is halfway through and studying abroad. So I don't know if I would still qualify for first generation or anything like that.

Favorite Answer

Wow! I am almost exactly like you--middle class 17 year old michigander who will have to go to community college if I can't come up with some cash quick. :\

Your GPA is good, and with AP classes and possible volunteering I think you could definetly get some scholarship money. Maybe not as much as you would like, but it's super hard to get scholarships...

Different schools you apply at will probably offer you some amount of merit money. Of course, don't forget to fill out your FAFSA you can probably get some money--not alot---from that, for having a sibling in college at the same time and such.

Good luck :)

• farlin

the reason of the belief is a good one, yet in certainty i think of it sends the incorrect message. who would desire to waste time for a complete extreme college life after which be taught like a fiend to ace a million/4 of what you will desire to be studying in the 1st place.....there is easily to incentive to do nicely in school, till you think of you will get a scholarship on the very final 2d basically because of the fact this is the better way out and hi, greater decrease priced too! no i don't think of this is a good option and that i does not make a contribution. all of us would desire to earn our way in the international and the quicker human beings comprehend this is not a unfastened holiday the greater desirable. every person would nicely be taught for a try, it takes consistency to be sensible.