Do you think the govt. is trying to control what car we can buy?

The new "Cash for Clunkers" program that went into effect today allows people to trade in their gas guzzler (defined as less than 18 mpg) for up to $4,500. These vehicles will BE DESTROYED so that they do not drive again. If the government can control what cars are made by putting regulations on the car makers, and they can now bribe people into destroying their used cars, what buying options will be left in a few years?

Another thing to consider, what will be left for lower income people who can not afford new cars if all the old cars are being turned in and destroyed for more money?

Update:

*15K is not cheap. For working class people, that amount of money is crippling!

Update 2:

**The options will not be there. Car companies are out to make money, and if the govt. penalized a company for making truck instead of sedans, they won't do it. The option will be lost. Look at France and Germany if you don't believe it.

Update 3:

Swah: the fact that I don't want the government taking away our car options doesn't mean that I am "for dirty cars". I think that if people want to buy a Toyoto Prius they should be allowed to, just like I think they should be allowed to buy an F-450 if they want to. Don't try to defend your position by claiming I support the opposite.

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

The government doesn't control what we drive, for the most part. If you want to keep your clunker you can. Same with your guns.

Also, remember that we control the govenrnment. Get involved in democracy! If you like cars that dirty up the air, you can ask your congressman to sponsor a bill that makes dirty cars. And you can try to convince your fellow Americans to do the same. But remember that when your ideas aren't used, that's usually because there are more Americans out there who think you're wrong. Right now I think there are a lot of us who want clean cars.

• farlin
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

this is conceivable they might have strech the consituion commerce clause to permitting regulations that easily rigidity human beings to purchase something and enter contracts they don't desire. So definite this is conceivable. That stated they coulden't juse do it they might would desire to get it by using congress which has Republicans and an excellent form of tea occasion members in it and there isn't any way in hell they might bypass it so the place secure from that form of thinking for some years.

• 1 decade ago

They are absolutely not controlling what car you can buy!

They are just giving a money incentive for you to lean one way. ;)

This is nothing new. Our current government has no clue what the word bribe means.

That's clear as 90% of congressmen and representatives would be in prison, for placing pork on bills. Pork=Bribe, and nothing else. Thats on both sides of the alley.

• 1 decade ago

The government started trying to control what cars we can buy decades ago when they started placing tariffs on foreign made cars...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Sarah
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Nope, you can still buy any car you'd like to purchase, Chicken Little. This plan is an incentive to purchase fewer gas guzzlers, yes, similar to other incentives in other areas....such as tax cuts and start up loans for small businesss.

• 1 decade ago

Sure they are, they want us to buy those tiny little ugly things

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

haven't you heard about the new electric cars. They are really good in cost, mpg, and design. They are only like 15,000 new.

• 1 decade ago

they are going to put RFIDs in the steering columns in the next couple of years...maybe next.....[to help give you better gas mileage...??] tracking device.....orwell...animal farm......OMG

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

trying to control everything. the cars you buy. the very air you breather who you talk to, who you don't. everything you do mannnn

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

If you don't like it then move on and buy something else.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.