7.1 surround sound problem?

Hi there, i have a sound card with 5 holes black, pink, blue, green, orange is there a way i could set up my 7.1 surround sound system with this. what can i do? i have no set up disks or anything with my surround sound speekers. But my sound card works.HELP!!

Favorite Answer

No, If you only have 5 outputs ( the 5 "holes") and your card is set for sending out 5.1 signals then that is the maximum output. If you are able to send the signal to a 7.1 a/v receiver, the 7.1 system might remix the 5.1 and possibly send the sound to all channels, however it will not be a true 7.1 surround sound.

Source(s): I design and install HT systems

If you have an external surround sound processor/receiver and want to use it for the sound coming from your computer, then your computer would need a digital audio output of some type (coaxial, SPDIF, or optical) which essentially bypasses any processing done by your sound card, but this would be limited to 5.1 surround.

If this is for watching movies, then the only way to get full 7.1 sound is from Blu-Ray discs and HDMI or other high def connection. DVDs support 5.1.

If you are playing games, then the 7.1 sound is only going to be possible if your sound card supports it as well as the game you are playing.

Furthermore, home theater surround systems are capable of decoding 7.1 Dolby Digital EX or DTS-ES sources, but not PC games with 7.1 sound (different encoding).

• birch

Plugging into PC may not provide you some thing, in view that DVI does not switch sound. What you have got to do is plug furnished with PS3 ordinary cable and use it is crimson (correct channel) and white (left channel) RCA plugs. Just get a correct adapter and hook it as much as your amp, speaker method. Configure it in Audio settings.