Starting ballet! Streches, excersizes, and shoes?

I want to start ballet soon, and I've had experience from gymnastics and mandatory ballet dance lessons from gymnastics. I wanted to know what type of ballet shoes to buy.

I'm 13, and I've hear leather is best. I can do splits, leaps, jumps, turns, coupe, relieve, posse, sashes, arabesque, plies and I think thats all.

I would also like to know some good stretches for ballet, although they are probably similar to gymnastics. Also are there any exercise I could do to stregthen my feet and make my point bigger?

Thanks!

~Lauren

Favorite Answer

It might help to spell the moves correctly.

*leaps=grande jetes

*relieve=releve

*posse=passe

*sashes=sashay

As for stretches:

Make sure to warm up properly before doing ANY of these!!!!

A straddle is the best stretch for splits in second. Sit up with your feet straight in front of you. Now, push your legs as far out to the side as you can. Then, stretch over to your right and try to touch your ear to your knee. Make sure to keep both your butt cheeks firmly on the ground (or else you won't get the full benefit on the stretch). Go to your left and do the same thing. Now, go forward and try to touch your belly button to the ground. Try to keep your legs turned out.

After you do this, use your hands to push yourself up and over the splits so your legs are behind you and your chest is on the floor. Go against a wall and do this. While pushing your legs against the wall, try to get your legs as close to the splits as possible.

You can do a straddle stretch against a wall and have a friend push your butt so you will get closer to the wall.

Lay down, but bring your legs out to second (basically a laying down straddle). Now, push your legs down as far as they will go, the goal being completely straight.

A resistance stretch is great for front splits. First, lay down. Keep one leg straight. Bring the other up and grab with both hands. Try to get the leg you are grabbing as close to your face as possible WITHOUT bending your leg on the ground (keep it fully on the ground) and keep your back and butt firmly on the ground.

If you want, do the resistance stretch, only have a friend push down your leg rather than you grab it.

Sit in a jazz split position (a split but with the back leg bent and turned out). Lean towards the inside of the split, trying to get your head to touch the ground. Then, lean forward. Try to get your nose to touch your knee.

Do a lunge stretch. Just stand straight up, then slide one foot out in front of you with the knee at a 90 degree angle.

Go into the splits, only bend your front leg at a 90 degree angle, turned out. Your front leg should be completely on the ground. Now, lay down over your front leg, trying to get your face to touch the ground.

Lastly, do an arabesque penchee. Now, pulse your leg up 8 times, trying to get it as high as you can.

Then, slide into the splits. When in the splits, try to get your face to touch your leg, then go inside the splits and try to get your face to touch the ground.

Hold all of these for 30 seconds. Try to do these everyday or as often as possible. Don't push anything too hard ever! Time spent healing an injury is time spent losing flexibility. Use it or lose it!

To strengthen the feet, releve all the time, as often as possible, and as high on releve as you can get, with the heel high off the ground and the weight completely on the ball and toes of the foot.

Also, think about investing in a theraband. This is a resistance band used on th feet. You can find one on any dance supply website or boutique. There are many exercises that can be done to strengthen the feet, which can be searched on google.

For beginners, a full sole leather ballet slipper is best. This will strengthen the foot as it has more traction. Once you have strong feet, a canvas split sole slipper is the best for turning while a leather split sole will probably last longer.

yes leather shoes are most common but i have a few friends who prefer canvas. wear what you find most comfortable.

as for the stretches, they are probably almost identical to ones that gymnasts do. stretching is stretching :)

for strengthening your feet you might consider purchasing some resistance bands. use them to make the "3/4 point, point, 3/4 point, flex" exercise more effective

Source(s): a dancer

just stick to your gymnastic stretches, but make sure you work out your feet a lot. to strengthen your feet to lots of relieves. your point becomes bigger overtime. leather shoes are best, but i suppose it all depends on your preference.

have somebody stretch your ankles familiar in a toe pint which contain your legs immediately out. they ought to push your ft as on the brink of the floor as achieveable. be certain you artwork your splits daily which includes your center chop up. sashe is unquestionably spelled "chasse".