What was tough about the NBA basketball played in the 80's?

I didn't start watching the NBA until the 98-99 season yeah I'm a young one and people always tell me that the fouls in the 1980's were tougher than the ones these days so I just wan to know

NO HATING PLEASE JUST ANSWER

• Favorite Answer

80's was a tough era in basketball. To my knowledge, flagrant fouls didn't exist, or at least it seemed that way. Players were shoved, smacked, and thrown around and they still only got two shots.

Hand checking, kind of like the 90's.

No three seconds rule for Big's. They could stand in the paint for a longer period and there was no call against them.

But really, it's just the toughness that the league allowed players to get away with. I'm sure there were some ejections here and there but basketball today has many foul calls, [personal, technical, flagrant] whereas in the 80's you shot two foul shots for every type of foul you were subjected to.

• J

Posting up grown men in 9 inch shorts.

Just Playing. There weren't as many rules to protect the ball handler then as there is now. You could get away with a lot harder fouls. Stuff that today is called as flagrant. Driving into the lane was like running into 6 lane traffic.

Yikes. You started watching at the tail end of the Golden Era. Anyway, the 80's and 90's were tougher because they allowed hand checking and there was no such thing as a defensive 3 seconds. I think that's pretty self-explanatory.

flagrant fouls didn't exist in the '80s and technical fouls were mostly given for arguing with the ref. so most players would make there fouls count by fouling as hard as they can on opposing players. flagrant-1 and flagrant-2 fouls that they have now keep players in check - not to mention it seems like every time a player drives the lane he picks up a foul.

I'm young too and I wasn't around to see it, but I've watched games (I love technology) and read about it. You could be a LOT more physical. A flagrant foul in today's era would probably barely be called a foul back then.

• Rob K

The game was more physical then because there was less emphasis on "protecting" star players. The Detroit Pistons went even so far as instilling the "Jordan Rules." Anytime Michael touched the ball, he was literally mugged.

In the 80's people was fighting almost every game, I remember Larry Bird fought Dr.J, & the sixer was holding Bird & Dr.J was just punching (no lie) In the 80's & the 90's they don't play.

• the pistons were known as the bad boys for a reason back then.

and one of their players bill lambier, is "the" dirtiest player ever.

check out some videos of them, you'll see why.

hand check,

you should watch bruce bowen kicking people in the face, that wasn't in the 80s but that was ******* tough!

in the 80's the refs didnt blow whistles because they could. they did it because they had to