Why can't my computer hook up to a router without a wire?

My computer gets internet from a router connected to another computer in the house but I must have a wire running from my computer to the router which is in a separate room and it would be more convenient to get rid of the wire but still get internet. I have tried to change the settings but it is saying that it cannot find my computers IP address. I know what my IP address is because I have found it online but the router does not. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

Ok for Once you router have to be WIRELESS in order to get wireless internet. If you router is Wireless then make sure have a WIRELESS receiver CARD installed in your desktop or in your laptop.

ya you can set it to auto find your IP address it may or may not depending if you have a fire wall or not. but that wire is important

to have because that is what is giving the router the access to the network or internet.

Ihave just about done everything I could