How to deal with a minor acquired allergy to rats?
I've owned pet rats for about seven years now, which I've always trained to stay on my shoulder. I've never had any type of problem with this, besides the stray "accidents" the younger ones have while they're being trained.
Over the last few months, I seem to have developed an allergic reaction to my rats. Wherever I come in contact with them (particularly where their claws touch), I break out in rashes and small, white or red lumps. The rashes itch rather badly, but don't last long, anywhere between thirty minutes and an hour. The rashes are worst on my neck and shoulders (where they spend the most time) and on my forearms from when they run up my arm when I'm putting them into, or taking them out of the cage.
I keep my rats rather clean, so I don't think it's a reaction to any ammonia they might have on their paws.
Is there anything I can do to stop the reaction? I'm rather attached to my rats, and I don't want to think that my current generation might have to be my last if I can't stop these reactions.
Thanks in advance for the help.
- 1 decade agoFavorite Answer
It is sad when we develop allergies to our beloved pets. My allergy to my 3 little min pins dander was discovered through allergy tests.
Try this: Discontinue close contact temporarily and allow your skin to heal. Ater you are healed, resume close contact with them and see if the allergy comes back. If the rashes return, you will have this very big decision: Is my health and well being more important than the relationship I have with my pets? If your answer is yes, then you know inside your heart what you need to do. Good Luck and bless....Jeanette