Are Claddagh rings worn only by Irish people and can it be worn representing friendship?

I want to get them for both me and a friend of mine to represent our friendship.

And can the rings be worn on the left hand?

Favorite Answer

Claddagh rings originated as wedding rings in northern Irish fishing villages. The ring represents the three aspects that make a good marriage: the heart (for love), the hands (for friendship), and the crown (for loyalty). My understanding has always been that the Claddagh is worn on the right hand with the heart pointing outwards when you're single (because you have your heart to give to someone else - which is what the hands appear to be doing). When you're dating, you wear the ring with the heart facing in (because your heart is taken). When you get married, you move the ring from the right to the left hand, heart facing in.

I'm sure there are plenty of non-Irish people (or people without any Irish ancestors) wearing Claddagh rings. I think the thought and story behind it is what counts most. As for wearing it to symbolize friendship - that's up to you. If you like what the Claddagh represents, I say go for it.

The general idea is that you wear it with the point facing out if you're available and facing in towards you're own heart if you're attached. Some men choose to get them instead of a typical wedding band.

Other than that I don't know of any "rules" to be adhered to, such as nationality.

I see no reason why you can't have them representing friendship, the intention/symbolism can be of you're own choosing; I got my first one from my cousin for being flowergirl at her wedding.

They originatated in Ireland. The fathers would make them and give them to their sons and when they got married they would put them on the wedding finger

If the crown on top of the heart, no matter what hand or finger it's on, points to your fingernail,then that means your married or promised. I wouldn't suggest gettng it for your friend unless yall are thinking about marriage. It woul kind of defeat the purpose.

Source(s): I'm partly Irish and I know someone that has the ring and he told me about it.