Can a doctor break doctor/patient confidentially if the patient is over 18?

I'm angry right now because my doctor ran some tests on me because I haven't been feeling well and she discussed my case with my mom and sister while my 9yr old boy cousin was in the room and I wasn't even at the hospital with them. My mom had an appointment with my same doctor and my cousin heard her talk about something that happened to me and how I needed to get checked out whether I wanted to or not. At first my mom denied the entire encounter and then after hounding her for the truth, she finally said that everything my cousin said is true. Next thing I know, while my mom's still at the office, the doctor's calling me saying that she wants to see me Weds. Does she have a right to talk to my family like when I didn't want anyone knowing about my test results or what happened, especially before I know my own results? By the way, I'm almost 29.

Favorite Answer

If you're an adult, the physician must respect your privacy and confidentiality of your medical information. The physician should not supply family members with this sort of information unless you authorize this.

It appears that your doctor has indeed broken the HIPPA laws regarding confidentiality. There are other factors involved however. Do you live at home, and use insurance provided for by your parents? Do your parents/mother have medical power of attorney? Are you disabled in any way, with a parent listed as your caregiver?

You should seek out your state's medical licensure website and send them an email making inquiry about how to file a formal complaint.

only time to break confidentiality is if u pose threat to urself or others if ur an adult.

what s/he did was illegal and health care professionals have been and can be sued for it.

as a adult the only time a Dr would brake confidence is when he believes that you are a Danger to yourself or other. or that's what is supposed to happen