Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 1 decade ago

Can I get an access point that is both N and G?

My laptop is G but the video phone I will be using I want on N as N is the fastest.

I need speed to carry that video across my network into the internet.

I said access point not router. I had trouble with routers last time I tried to do wireless on my video phone h.323 which is needed by my video phone.

I can't run another line to my video phone as the line I ran last time was eaten through by a mouse. Having all that cabled strung out is dangerous too. I can't count how many times i've tripped over it. Runing it through the walls on a rental is a no go, landlord wont permit that.

A new router is not an option either. The router I have now is specifically designed for this video phone.

The linksys router I used in the past did not support my video phone as there is no h.323 which is needed by my video phone.

Favorite Answer

The N standard uses the frequencies that support wireless B/G and wiress A simultaneously to support higher data rates. Since both frequency ranges are supported, both the B/G and A wireless standards are supported if you buy a device that supports N. Basically, N is backwards compatible with all previous wirless WiFi standards (in theory). In practice, I am not certain how effective the compatibility is.

The answer is technically a yes, but the N version is still in the draft stage and is not finalised, so it could be on a per router basis. The best option is to look at routers in your price band and check the details on them, you should find one that will suit your needs.

Also be aware that if you are expecting to send video from your home network accross the internet, if my understanding of your question is correct, the bottleneck will almost certainly you upload speed on the internet connection, not your wireless. Forinstance a normal 10mb ADSL line will give you approximately 800kb upload speed (which will degrade depending on local internet traffic).