2000 Dodge Grand Caravan not starting til third turn and second issue that may relate to first.?

have a 00 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3.3L

Problem: Today I went to start it and it wouldn't turn over, tried second time nothing, finally third time it started. When I turned the key the first two times there was no sound just sounded like battery was dead. Second issue to go along with the first as I think it may relate is that when I was driving down the road today, about half a block from my home the vehicle then seemed like it dropped in speed real quick. It seemed like it went from 25mph to 15mph all at once, but it was still at 25mph, then all of a sudden it just popped back into normal speed. Now im not a mechanic obviously, but my signs would say ALTERNATOR for first issue, not sure if same for 2nd. There have been no issues with starting after that first time today.

Thanks in advance for any help....

Favorite Answer

i would suggest going to your local parts store for a charging system check. im pretty sure autozone does this for free. they will check your battery, alternator and starter all at once and tell you if there is any weakness in the system.

as far as the speed dropping issue, there may be a slight chance of relation to issue #1, however the crank sensor shorting may be the culprit, and actually may even be the cause of issue #1 as well.

also if the "check engine" light is on, have the diagnostic run while you are getting the charging system checked. if you get the DTC ( engine code) it may make your repair a little easier.....

good luck!