what are the sirens in my area for?

i live in NY on long island and there is sirens a few miles away from my house. i can hear them when they go off, although sorta feint. they usually go off once or more a day, sometimes i dont hear them for a week. why do they do this? my mom says they are "testing" them, but i dont understand why theyd do that, because then if there really was an emergency, ppl would think its nothing. anyway, i wonder why there is even sirens, because we dont get tornados here.

• John W
    Favorite Answer

I don't know about NY but I grew up in Canada and we had a siren near our home. It was a leftover from the 40's and 50's and was a civil defense siren originally for air raids but maintained for civil emergencies. It was regularly tested at low frequencies which are inaudible. The newer neighbourhoods did not have such sirens.

Of course, Canada was in WWII a lot longer than the US was. The US was actually considered friendly to Nazi Germany till Pearl Harbour and the war prisoners kept in Canada would always try to escape to the US. When Germany's defeat was announced, many German U-boats would race away from Canadian ships towards US ships because they were afraid of the treatment they would have in Canada.

Im sure if the conditions was right you could get a tornado in

Long Island.Tornado's can be in a 50 states all year.