How do you transfer hard drive info when computer doesn't work?

My old PC shut down and it won't even power up. I recently received a new macbook pro for college. I'm completely happy with it, but I have numerous pictures that i did not have a chance to save from my old computer. Is there anyway to take the info off the old hard drive of the computer that won't power on? Or would I have to take it to a computer specialist? If so how much would that be?

Favorite Answer

got a buddy with a PC that works? take the drive out & take it to them. have them copy the data off & burn to DVD or Thumb drive. if it was password protected, you may need to reassign the file permissions to the friends PC logon. Microsoft gives an explanation on how. & you do not need the old password.

Hi There,

You can purchase a hard drive enclosure and install your old hard drive inside.

They come with their own power supply and get one with a USB inout/output that you can plug into your new computer.

There is a link below for some enclosures or you can buy one at Office Max or any electronics store.

Then you can also use the external drive for backup.

Hope this helps,

Al