Can my manager ask me for a doctor's note if I call in sick?

Is it even legal for them to ask for one if I'm needing a sick day, and call in ahead of time?

Favorite Answer

It depends on your company's policy, but yes, it's perfectly legal. The note doesn't need to say why you were seen, it just needs to verify that you were seen and advised not to go in.

Source(s): Manager

I believe it is normal for you to have 1 day off without Medical Certificate, however if you are away on day 2 then you need to provide a medical certificate.

If you have a manual at work it is wise to ask to see the chapter on sick leave, if you have any doubts.

if you have sick days, i dont think they can ask..

not every illness needs a doctor, i mean you could have cramps, diarera with is a stay at home thing... alot of times you can go your doctors office(if they know you well)

and say you stayed home due to so and so and you did not come in because you were at home resting, and would they please fax a doctors note to your job..

its up to you however...

• Max

yes it's perfectly legal, some places it's even legal to fire someone even with a doctors slip.