Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsDiabetes · 1 decade ago

What happens when you have proteinuria and Type One diabetes?

Two years ago, before I was diagnosed with type one, I was diagnosed with proteinuria. Last December, I was diagnosed with Type one diabetes. I haven't seen my kidney specialist since. But should I make an appointment? Is it possible that things are different now that I have diabetes?

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Yes , different and not for the better. Git with it , dialysis is a real pain. In fact , my cousin had two treatments and he ordered them to pull the plug. They did. And that is the rest of the story>>>

What should a person do?

If a person has diabetes, hypertension, or both, the first goal of treatment will be to control blood glucose, also called blood sugar, and blood pressure. People with diabetes should test their blood glucose often, follow a healthy eating plan, take prescribed medicines, and get the amount of exercise recommended by their doctor. A person with diabetes and high blood pressure may need a medicine from a class of drugs called angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitors or a similar class called angiotensin receptor blockers (ARBs). These drugs have been found to protect kidney function even more than other drugs that provide the same level of blood pressure control. Many patients with proteinuria but without hypertension may also benefit from ACE inhibitors or ARBs. The American Diabetes Association and the American College of Cardiology recommend that people with diabetes keep their blood pressure below 130/80.3

People who have high blood pressure and proteinuria, but not diabetes, also benefit from taking an ACE inhibitor or ARB. The Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure recommends that people with kidney disease keep their blood pressure below 130/80.4 To maintain this target, a person may need to take a combination of two or more blood pressure medicines. A doctor may also prescribe a diuretic in addition to an ACE inhibitor or ARB. Diuretics are also called “water pills” because they help a person urinate and get rid of excess fluid in the body.

In addition to blood glucose and blood pressure control, the National Kidney Foundation recommends restricting dietary salt and protein. A doctor may refer a patient to a dietitian to help develop and follow a healthy eating plan.

Tin

1

Source(s): Reverse Diabetes Without Drugs - http://DiabetesCure.raiwi.com/?xXuJ

2

Source(s): My Diabetes Gone Completely : http://DiabetesGoFar.com/?KbQG